+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studer A80

I'm Stuart.

Default Studer A80

Any of you guys able to tell what model this is ?
    I’ve not see it in person yet , hopefully this weekend if all goes to plan
    Only found out about it last night but I need to be quick as I know there are others interested , typically it’s at the other end of the country again !!!
    It’s a ex broadcast machine , there looks like some head wear from the pics I got but apparently it’s all working and sounding great
    The overhead VU bridge looks different to other models I’ve seen in the past , all it says on the top plate is A80
    We’re there many versions of this ?
    I realise there is the R,RC,VU models .....maybe one of those , is there a easy way of sussing out what model it by looking at the pics

I'm Josie.

Hi Stuart.

Its most likely either an RC or VU.

Couple of things.

It has NAB heads which is fine. Butterfly are better if you wish to play mono tapes as well as stereo. Butterfly heads are much more expensive on these machines and much more sought after.

Still, it looks like a great machine.

You need to ask the owner to take a picture of the front of the machine and it's model plate. That will give you all the info. You need.

To get the best out of this machine is to do a modification on the vu meters as the signal is degraded somewhat. Hence why people and studios now go with the R model for ease.

I wouldn't let that put you off though.

If it's been serviced regular then that's a good thing. But if it's bearings have not been changed then that's something to get done. This can be expensive as you may know.

Other things are to get all of the cards updated and the old electrolytic caps replaced.

It will be a labour of love for you to get it running perfectly. It is for me... Lol

I've lost count of how much money I've spent on mine and mine came to me serviced and with lowish hours.

You would be best to have go with it yourself too. Check the brakes, location sync etc.

Hope that helps.
    Jo

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Stuart.

Cheers Jo
    Made arrangements to travel down on Saturday, I’ll leave a deposit if it’s in good order and send it direct to a Tech to give it the once over, it’s just outside London so I’ve a better chance of finding someone there to check it out before I bring it on the long journey home
    I have a feeling that it’s a VU model but I should have some more info on it this evening
    You don’t happen to remember where you read about the “VU mod “ do you ?

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed56 View Post
    Cheers Jo
    Made arrangements to travel down on Saturday, I’ll leave a deposit if it’s in good order and send it direct to a Tech to give it the once over, it’s just outside London so I’ve a better chance of finding someone there to check it out before I bring it on the long journey home
    I have a feeling that it’s a VU model but I should have some more info on it this evening
    You don’t happen to remember where you read about the “VU mod “ do you ?
    Hi Stuart.

Most probably either What's best forum or tapeheads.

Ill have a skoot.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Charlie.

Stuart,

If it's near London, get Simon Griffett from Audio Related (www.audiorelated.com) in Chesham to check it over. SG looks after tape machines in several studios including AIR and Simon Heyworth (who set up manor Studios for Virgin). SG will happily collect the machine for a small fee as well.
    Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Edward.

Also have a chat with Paul Baldwin at Reelaudio to see if he would look at the deck. He normally works on Revox machines but also covers Studer.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Stuart.

Thanks Guys , I’ll see how things go on Saturday
    Fingers crossed

+ Reply to Thread