+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: All change at Bigmans

  1. #21
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,588
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deek View Post
    It's a good bit of kit and was certainly outclassing my modest system. I've never seen a psu either. Have fun!
    ThanK you, yes, I can foresee a recap and a new psu for it which I would imagine will make it a hard act to follow.

    It's in perfect condition too. I appreciate the smooth transaction. Always a bit worrying as I don't buy from PFM usually.

    Top marks for you!

  2. #22
    Join Date: May 2012

    Location: Staffordshire, UK

    Posts: 134
    I'm Rob.

    Default

    A quick write-up...

    Yesterday morning I popped over to see Oliver @Bigman80 to listen to his system and have a catch up. We chatted for a little while then popped some music on.
    His system has gone through radical changes since my last visit and the performance level has stepped up by a large margin, we are taking ‘endgame’ status here. I’m sure you’ve heard all this before but the sound is what I’ve been searching for since I got into Hi-Fi.

    A few tracks were played and I was suitable impressed. Then the question ‘’Do you like The Who?’’ "Yes" I replied…The tonearm lowered and the needle fell into the groove and the track started. Within seconds I was paralysed, transfixed and fireworks were exploding inside my head.
    It’s been a long time since this has happened to me. The album ‘The Who Live At Leeds’ and the track ‘Magic Bus’. Safe to say it blew my mind.

    I’ve know of the record for many years (I’m 48) but never felt the urge to listen to it. I’ve now asked for the triple half speed vinyl edition for Christmas. BOOM! (drops Mic)

    Cheers
    Rob
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

  3. #23
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,588
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmass View Post
    A quick write-up...

    Yesterday morning I popped over to see Oliver @Bigman80 to listen to his system and have a catch up. We chatted for a little while then popped some music on.
    His system has gone through radical changes since my last visit and the performance level has stepped up by a large margin, we are taking ‘endgame’ status here. I’m sure you’ve heard all this before but the sound is what I’ve been searching for since I got into Hi-Fi.

    A few tracks were played and I was suitable impressed. Then the question ‘’Do you like The Who?’’ "Yes" I replied…The tonearm lowered and the needle fell into the groove and the track started. Within seconds I was paralysed, transfixed and fireworks were exploding inside my head.
    It’s been a long time since this has happened to me. The album ‘The Who Live At Leeds’ and the track ‘Magic Bus’. Safe to say it blew my mind.

    I’ve know of the record for many years (I’m 48) but never felt the urge to listen to it. I’ve now asked for the triple half speed vinyl edition for Christmas. BOOM! (drops Mic)

    Cheers
    Rob
    Hahaha, drops mic

    It's a great album. One of the best of all time IMO.

    Grateful for the kind words and I am sincerely pleased your mind exploded lol.

    The BigBlog will be a lot quieter going forward as there just no escaping the quality this system is delivering.

  4. #24
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,943
    I'm James.

    Default

    Err... a similar experience to my own i think Rob and once again I congratulate Oliver in putting together a dream system.

    Anyone who knows Oli and and can persuade him to let them have a listen to his system should do so as it is truly special. I have heard a lot of systems over the years and this is up there with the very best at any price!
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  5. #25
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,588
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Err... a similar experience to my own i think Rob and once again I congratulate Oliver in putting together a dream system.

    Anyone who knows Oli and and can persuade him to let them have a listen to his system should do so as it is truly special. I have heard a lot of systems over the years and this is up there with the very best at any price!
    Haha, you and Rob both did the "what am I hearing" head shake lol.

    Gotta say it still wows me too. No better feeling than satisfaction imo and that's what I have here.

    I wont be doing much more tbf as It just dont need it.

    A prototype phonostage on the way for a listening trial, which will eventually end up as a finished product in my system. This has been long in the works, an Ortofon Vienna, if one ever comes up and a couple of one off custom upgrades for the SP10.

    Lastly, if the PMAT1010 ever gets another upgrade to MK7, I'll be first in line. I don't even need to hear it first lol.

    Other than that, it'll be a dedicated room to maximise what I am already using.

  6. #26
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,943
    I'm James.

    Default

    I recon those speakers will sound even better in a larger room with more room for soundstage etc. Changing the room and controlling the acoustics should simply enhance everything that you have but the whole picture will become clearer and I think a walk around sound stage.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  7. #27
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,588
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I recon those speakers will sound even better in a larger room with more room for soundstage etc. Changing the room and controlling the acoustics should simply enhance everything that you have but the whole picture will become clearer and I think a walk around sound stage.
    I agree Jim.

    Its exactly what I want in terms of SQ and Transparency but that room is a restriction on the soundstage.

    I'm grateful to have what space I have, but in an ideal world, that system deserves a proper space.

    If I can get rid of it, then as you say, it will be quite something to listen to and experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •