+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Reiver Acoustics Henley speakers

I'm Andrew.

Default FS: Reiver Acoustics Henley speakers

For sale is a unique pair of speakers, a custom design-and-build by the supremely talented Scott Lindgren and Colin Topps (Reiver Acoustics). As far as I know, this is the only pair built to date. Colin and Scott christened these the "Henley", after one of the prominent Border Reiver Clans and also a tribute to Don Henley.

The best source of information for these speakers is Colin's thread over on Audio Talk:
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/v...php?f=4&t=6927

I would not be selling these, but for one thing. Because of the rigid Santos rosewood veneer that I specifically chose, they should not be placed in direct sun or up against a radiator. Unfortunately, it proved difficult to avoid the bay window in my small living room, and I eventually lost the fight with my other half to keep the blinds down! Colin and Scott were brilliant, offering to re-dress them in a flexible veneer, but I felt that it would be a shame to dismantle such a beautiful pair of speakers, and that somebody else (without a bay window) should get to enjoy them.

They are around 88dB midband sensitivity, -3dB at around 45Hz. For collection from my workplace in central Cambridge, auditioning welcome if you bring your own source, amp and cables.

£500

Last edited by ahgee2; 03-11-2019 at 21:31.

I'm Grant.

Look nice. Colin is a very good craftzman
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Andrew, full sized photos are required for items over £250, not thumbnails. I've done one for you, so the listing is now compliant with selling rules.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Geoff, much appreciated. Sorry I got it wrong first time. I actually spent ages trying to get the photos in-line, but I've only just noticed the step-by-step guide at the top of the forum - doh!

I'm Lawrence.

What a beautifully finished pair of speakers. The ports should help with placement and the tweeters look like they'll sound sublime.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Colin.

I feel as the co-designer and builder of these speakers I must reply to the original advise given regards the placement of these speakers.

Due the fact we do not have access to professional veneer glues nor a veneer press as the chosen veneer was raw leaf cut Santos Rosewood the only glue I could use at the time was impact adhesive. Now for those in the know this glue remains slightly rubbery for a long time until it fully cures (with time) to a hardness and does not remain flexible. Due this flexibility of the glue we cannot guarantee the veneer would split with direct heat such as refracted heat through glass via direct sunlight or direct heat from near placement to a hot radiator. One wouldn't place a antique piece of furniture in such a location nor should one place speakers. However with such a long time since we made these speakers I would expect the base glue to have fully hardened off and not be flexible any more. So placement within a bay window should not be an issue. But then why subject a piece of furniture to such extreme temperature changes when you wouldn't do this to valued pieces of furniture. As long as the speakers are not placed in the likes of say a conservatory I do not see there being a problem.

After we received this commission build I must say that the end resultant sound surpassed our expectation. The look of the finished speakers is stunning as is the sound, for so small a floor standing speaker. Scott and I had plans to develop this as a range of offerings and I have prototype cabinets built that due to my retirement from making speakers may now never see the light of day as finished products.

At £500 these are a bargain.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Colin for the clarification about the veneer bonding and speaker positioning: your comments should be reassuring to potential purchasers. And sorry to hear you are retiring from speaker-building, your superb craftsmanship will be missed by many, no doubt.

I just edited the original post to put all the photos in-line.

I'm Colin.

Andrew,
    the speakers are nearer 90dB efficiency rather than the 88dB you stated.

I'm Rana.

Lovely! GLWS but just to note that Don Henley is still alive.
    Lounge: Technics 1200GR/Denon 160>Atoll P200SE/Sony CDP-X3000ES/Bluesound Node N130 on USB>Aavik U150 amp/DAC>Music Culture RL21. Loft: Bluesound Node N130 on USB>Lindemann Musicbook 10DSD/55 Pre-DAC/Power>Music Culture RL21

I'm Grant.

Surprised these are still here.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast