+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Gent, Belgium

I'm Jonas.

Default Hi from Gent, Belgium

Hi everyone! Since I started renovating my house I always had in mind to create the best possible audio experience in my living area and ever since I have been reading audiophile websites and blogs. Time has come now to upgrade and make some decisions and I still feel very much unsure about it.

I currently have a pair of audio bronze 2 book shelve speakers connected to an old denon receiver.

Having resisted for a long time, I have now changed views totally and want my future setup to include the possibility to stream music. In terms of speakers I am doubting between the following: Q Acoustics 3050, Dali Oberon 5 and Dynaudio Emit M30. I know the latter are in a ‘higher’ price category but they are on a sale in a shop here in Gent. Still more expensive (if not double) as the others so I am wondering if this is worth it. My audio bronze speakers will move to the kitchen so I still want to connect them to same amp.

For the amplifier or receiver I am between Yamaha N-303D. This a very cheap receiver. Also thinking about the Marantz NR1200 and the Marantz PM700N. The NAD C338 is another option I am considering. Here I am wondering if it’s worth having the possibility to use an ethernet cable over the wifi possibility.
    This will also serve as sound for what I am watching on my projector. I was planning to get an Nvidia Shield (replacing a laptop) but have read that when sending the sound through the Nvidia there is a lot of distortion. If that’s the case I would rather just connect a chromecast to the projector.
    I am also wondering whether it is not worth buying for example the Marantz PM6006 and just add the chromecast audio.

These are the questions that have ‘troubled’ me for many many months and I would be extremely helpful to get started on this forum with some advice
    Thanks a lot!

I'm John.

If you can use ethernet always use that instead of Wi-Fi. Probably better going for a dedicated streamer as well instead of the Chromecast if funds will allow it. The Chromecast is practically useful but sound quality is not the best using the analogue output. If you use the optical output instead of analogue you can use your own DAC with it but a lot of people have reported dropout issues doing this.

Can't comment on the speakers and amp but others will be able to help with that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

+1 on ethernet
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Jonas. Welcome to AOS.

You'll find every sections here covering every aspect of Hi-Fi and other topics, so just join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Have to disagree about the Chromecast Audio, for the cost they are very good, no problems with dropouts using optical, if anyone buys a cheap optical cable they may get dropouts. Great improvement if you use a linear power supply to the Chromecast.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    If you can use ethernet always use that instead of Wi-Fi. Probably better going for a dedicated streamer as well instead of the Chromecast if funds will allow it. The Chromecast is practically useful but sound quality is not the best using the analogue output. If you use the optical output instead of analogue you can use your own DAC with it but a lot of people have reported dropout issues doing this.

Can't comment on the speakers and amp but others will be able to help with that.

It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Have to disagree about the Chromecast Audio, for the cost they are very good, no problems with dropouts using optical, if anyone buys a cheap optical cable they may get dropouts. Great improvement if you use a linear power supply to the Chromecast.

Gary
    I don't get dropouts any more using Tidal but I did when I used it with Deezer. Both have been with the same Chord Company optical cable. If you look on the net there are loads of people who have experienced dropouts using Tidal and other streaming services.

Not tried it with a linear power supply but sounds interesting. I agree that the Chromecast is good for the money but a lot of people agree that the sound quality can be bettered.

I'm Gary.

Hi,

I wasn’t inferring anything specific in your system, however as you say lots of people get dropouts. The reasons for this may require better analysis.

Streaming suppliers, if using wi if signal strength etc.

As you say Chromecast Audio can be bettered as with all Audio equipment and connections.

I’m sure we all strive to optimise what we have ��

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I don't get dropouts any more using Tidal but I did when I used it with Deezer. Both have been with the same Chord Company optical cable. If you look on the net there are loads of people who have experienced dropouts using Tidal and other streaming services.

Not tried it with a linear power supply but sounds interesting. I agree that the Chromecast is good for the money but a lot of people agree that the sound quality can be bettered.

It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Jonas.

Seems like going for ethernet is the safe (or better) bet then. Always been a bit sceptical about using wifi or bluetooth in any case.

+ Reply to Thread