+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lincolnshire Seaside

I'm Shaun.

Default The Lincolnshire Seaside

Humberston Fitties Lincolnshire 2004 by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Some more photographs taken back in 2004 of a place known as the Humberston Fitties on the estuary of the River Humber. This place borders Tetney Marsh and is for many miles an SSSI.

Taken by the most traditional (and very best) methods of photography, I used a Fuji GW690 III camera using rollfilm with 6X9 cm negatives. Film was Fuji Acros 100 which was developed in Paterson Aculux.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes, 'Fitties' is a local name for a salt marsh but has a community of wooden chalets next to the dunes owned by some as holiday homes. Strange place in summer, way stranger in winter. The place has a feeling of melancholy and stillness and even though I have been a local for a lot of my life, it gives you a feeling of being in an overseas place such as the coast of Holland or Denmark.

I'm Shaun.

If any of you are familiar with a feeling known as 'saudade' then this place will make you feel really odd. It is as though you have been transported to a vaguely familiar place but back into the 1930's.

Really weird feeling.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    If any of you are familiar with a feeling known as 'saudade' then this place will make you feel really odd. It is as though you have been transported to a vaguely familiar place but back into the 1930's.

Really weird feeling.
    You should go and see this

Dog walkers find wreckage of WWII RAF fighter plane on beach

https://mol.im/a/8365021

via http://dailym.ai/android

I'm Shaun.

Lawrence, that Beaufighter wreckage is just a stone's throw from where these photos were taken. In the third photo you can see the old wartime military fort that is also in images of the aircraft that the media have shown. I remember first being told of this wreckage back in the 70's but back then it was covered in sand. The salt marshes around here are very dangerous having taken numerous lives in the past. I would not venture out that far.

+ Reply to Thread