+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What sample rate?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

Someone up thread suggests "too many variables"!
    Yes, too many variables to be able to deduce purely from listening as to what is causing the outputted signal to be different. Or even if it is actually different. That doesn't seem to stop people from jumping to conclusions or coming out with some pretty outrageous theories as to why. But it's all good fun.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, too many variables to be able to deduce purely from listening as to what is causing the outputted signal to be different. Or even if it is actually different. That doesn't seem to stop people from jumping to conclusions or coming out with some pretty outrageous theories as to why. But it's all good fun.
    Indeed. A few years ago I looked at some waveforms from clarinets, and simulated clarinets. The odd thing was that some of the simulated clarinets had really odd waveforms, yet sounded much closer to so some of the real clarinet samples, while some of the real clarinet samples sounded really quite different from some of the others. I was a bit surprised, but that's the way things are.

Despite being aware of some obvious deficiencies in my hearing compared with many years ago, I continue to be amazed on occasions at how much better and realistic (!!) real live sound by live performers in an appropriate environment is, compared with even reasonably good "hi-fi". Of course, sometimes it can be worse, but not often. It's usually much better by several orders of magnitude That applies to almost all forms of music, or aural experiences.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread