+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sample rate?

I'm Geoff.

i am puzzled by those who write off the benefits of high definition files and upsampling. Regarding the latter, consider a vinyl pressing. It is not possible to add more data to the grooves once it is pressed. However, one can extract more of the data in the grooves by improving the replay chain. A better RIAA device, superior cartridge, more rigid tonearm, better power supply, more highly engineered bearings etc. The same is true of redbook files. I find that a system that can perform a good upsampling of redbook files typically sounds "better" (to me at least) than one that does not. I find a similar improvement in files that have been recorded in hd. If others don't perceive the same improvements that is fine.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    i am puzzled by those who write off the benefits of high definition files and upsampling. Regarding the latter, consider a vinyl pressing. It is not possible to add more data to the grooves once it is pressed. However, one can extract more of the data in the grooves by improving the replay chain. A better RIAA device, superior cartridge, more rigid tonearm, better power supply, more highly engineered bearings etc. The same is true of redbook files. I find that a system that can perform a good upsampling of redbook files typically sounds "better" (to me at least) than one that does not. I find a similar improvement in files that have been recorded in hd. If others don't perceive the same improvements that is fine.
    That's my point though. A file recorded, mastered and distributed at hi-res (where this is actually some additional resolution, in theory anyway) is or at least ought to be a completely different animal to a lower res file upsampled. Whatever your kit is doing to process the signal may be the important thing here in why you like it, not the initial (or indeed the upsampled) resolution. Great if you like it but there's no proof whatsoever that a file being hi-res is responsible for why you like it.

I'm Martin.

There's no data in the groove of a vinyl record though, it's just a groove. Man.

I was an early adopter of SACD. Initially I thought it was the second coming. With the hybrid discs I was puzzled that the CD layer and SACD layer sounded no different. Then I found out.

Also had one of the upsampling players. Didn't like it, sounded a bit blousey, thought the upsampling was to blame. With CD you could not switch off the upsampling. But it could be used as a stand alone DAC too so I hooked up a transport and could switch between 16/44.1 and 24/384 at will with the remote. Not a scrap of difference.

Not to say that up sampling will not make a difference sometimes. Depends on all sorts of things. Lots of variables involved.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

I find this article helps keep me on track regarding high resolution audio.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

It doesn't always help, but it can.
    Like most things that are complicated,... It's complicated.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I find this article helps keep me on track regarding high resolution audio.
    Thanks Edward I'd read that before but I'll bookmark it this time.

I'm Patrick.

If we are being pedantic it is both as you are making comparisons between audio and video (analogy def: a comparison between things that have similar features, often used to help explain a principle or idea)
    Sorry but you are incorrect; it's an example of sampling something with a frequency lower than half the highest frequency that you are sampling, which produces aliasing. It's not an analogy because I am not making a comparison between things that have similar features, I am giving an example of the phenomenon (aliasing).

Anyway, now you fully understand aliasing, it's job done AFAIAC.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Sorry but you are incorrect; it's an example of sampling something with a frequency lower than half the highest frequency that you are sampling, which produces aliasing. It's not an analogy because I am not making a comparison between things that have similar features, I am giving an example of the phenomenon (aliasing).

Anyway, now you fully understand aliasing, it's job done AFAIAC.
    You have the definition: if you can't grasp it then that's fine.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Actually Geoff was absolutely correct - the comparison you made was an analogy (by its very definition...).

The phenomenon of the 'wagon wheel' rotation and film projection (not video) has very little to do with digital 'aliasing' other than both being related to frequency differences that produce an undesirable effect; thus wholly analogous.

The two effects are not even remotely connected either technologically or in their underlying physics.

I'm Gary.

The important bit (in my opinion...having dabbled with digital a bit) is the bit depth, not the sample rate.
    A 24bit 44Khz version of a song has always sounded noticeably better than even a 352Khz 16 bit up-sample of the same track.

Bit depth is what matters...
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-11-2019 at 10:12.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast