View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

3 17.65%
  • 6/10

1 5.88%
  • 7/10

3 17.65%
  • 8/10

6 35.29%
  • 9/10

2 11.76%
  • 10/10

2 11.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, November 2019: Thomas Dolby - 'The Flat Earth'

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, I had the singles on 7" at the time (still have them actually) but never the album on Vinyl, (though I do have Aliens Ate My Buick) though I have two editions on CD/FLAC, and I Scare Myself is a regularly used "Hi-Fi Test Track" as I know it so well (and love it.)

It's certainly very much of its time - unmistakably 1980s! That's no bad thing, at the time I loved the synth sounds that were emerging (so much so that I saved up and bought a Casio CZ-101 synth of my own - it was on 27th November 1986 and I remember exactly because I passed my driving test in the morning and bought the synth in the afternoon to celebrate.) Anyway, I digress...

Not quite a 10 as I don't love every track but it is definitely a 9 from me and one that will continue to "spin" for many more years to come. Good choice Ian!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adrian.

Listening to Thomas Dolby reminded me of not only Nik Kershaw - "The Riddle" but also Howard Jones - "Human's Lib" (1983) this is a classic, with some great Tunes, some more pop than others, but all very good, also sounds as if more real drums used, however in Wikipedia it sites this as used Oberheim_DMX drum machine must have been one of the better ones.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

PS - He also produced one of my favourite albums of all time - Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout - if you've never heard that and liked this give that a go too.

His list of collaborations is astonishing, actually!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Loz.

Good choice Ian. I really enjoyed that! Played it a couple times now. I'm not really familiar with Thomas Dolby apart from his singles. Some of the sounds/instruments anchor it in the 80's on occasion but overall a cracking record. A strong 8/10

I'm Edward.

Bit confused on albums etc. Tidal has a single and a Collectors Edition. Anyway listened to the Collectors Edition and liked what I heard. Def shades of Prefab Sprout in there but more classy. All tracks nicely done with excellent range.

Did not dabble in Thomas Dolby when he was at his height. Pity.

8/10

Good choice!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Twisted.

I had the same trouble - the complete album isn’t on Tidal. (I use Spotty too, so played it from there)
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Andy.

Loved TD from the first time I heard him and bought his first album.
    Listened to this one a year or so ago and had another listen after this thread started.
    Found it to be of its time but very well put together.
    As said above the production and the various instrumentalist were vary good but some of the lyrics seemed a bit trite..

Enjoyed it the second time around but it was more background music while I was stripping wallpaper
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Sorry Ian, didn't like it in the 80s, like it even less now.

I couldn't play it all, so I won't vote and skew the figures.

Interesting to know the Prefab Sprout thing though, used to like them and have 'From Langley Park to Memphis'
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This is new to me, and although I had heard of Thomas Dolby, I hadn't heard any of his output.

Very much of the '80s, a decade in which, surprisingly, I liked the pop music, this album exemplifies that sound very well: synthesisers, drum machines, and not a guitar to be seen or heard! From the get-go, this album grabs your attention and you are off on a bit of a roller coaster ride. At times it can pall a bit, but just when your attention is starting to flag, a track comes along which surprises you and makes you listen attentively again.

I particularly liked the first track and a later track called(?) "I scare myself", (as performed by Dan Hicks). It's not the sort of album I would rush out and buy now, but I did enjoy the nostalgia of the '80. So for that trip down memory lane I'll give it 7/10.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I played this for the first time last week at work with a pc and headphone setup. Was a bit of a fractured listening session but I liked a couple of tracks and thought the album was interesting, and different.
    I thought I should give it another go to be fair but that was another fractured session at work. Then I got to the weekend and listened at home. What grabbed me was the complexity and depth of the material. The Spotify syream quality is superb. The musicianship is excellent the production too. I was originally thinking 7 on first listen but I've played the album 5 times this week and I like every track. Every time i play it I notice something different going on, be it interplays, or dialogue or instruments.

The name Thomas Dolby had no recognition for me but I think i can remember 2 of the tracks as singles back in the day.

It's grown on me so much this past week that I'm going to explore more of Mr Dolby and give this a firm 10 out of 10.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast