+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Omega Compact Alnico Monitor Speakers

I'm Hugo.

Default Omega Compact Alnico Monitor Speakers

My Omega Compact Alnico Monitor speakers arrived at the end of last week. They are beautifully finished in American Walnut and my only criticism concerns the rather cheap and nasty circular grilles which are held in place (rather ineffectively) by a few hidden magnets. For those that don't know Omega, their speakers are mostly single full-range designs, and these have a 6.5" paper driver, with whizzer cone and Alnico magnets. They are only 16" tall and are wider than deep, with a rear facing reflex port.

One member here on AoS did tell me that Omega speakers require some time to 'run in' and that does appear to be true. Straight out of the box, there is that 'single driver musical purity' that I wanted but with some tizzy resonances that were particularly noticeable with piano etc. Those resonances seem to be easing with more running time and already these little speakers are impressing me greatly with their lovely tonal balance, decent if not earth-shaking bass, but above all a relaxing character that is simply and to my ears 'musical'. I know that this term is much used and abused and in part can be interpreted as my liking what I hear, but these speakers is definitely put out a very ordered and time coherent sound, which is what I wanted. Their character is evolving almost by the hour so I'm really looking forward to getting to know them fully, when they are properly run-in.

Although the Compact Alnico Monitors are quite efficient with claimed 94.5dB sensitivity, they do neverthless work well with the 85W Lyngdorf TDAi-2170 which has the considerable virtue of utterly precise channel balance at neighbour-friendly low listening levels, and these speakers do sound graceful at low levels. A friend did bring round a puny little 1 watt valve amp yesterday and that worked very well, even though it did not stir the lower registers like the Lyngdorf does.

Anyway, a good start. I am just a customer, so any enquiries need to go to Divine Audio https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/produc...speakers-pair/

(the speaker stands are Futon Company bamboo stools)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    My Omega Compact Alnico Monitor speakers arrived at the end of last week. They are beautifully finished in American Walnut and my only criticism concerns the rather cheap and nasty circular grilles which are held in place (rather ineffectively) by a few hidden magnets. For those that don't know Omega, their speakers are mostly single full-range designs, and these have a 6.5" paper driver, with whizzer cone and Alnico magnets. They are only 16" tall and are wider than deep, with a rear facing reflex port.

One member here on AoS did tell me that Omega speakers require some time to 'run in' and that does appear to be true. Straight out of the box, there is that 'single driver musical purity' that I wanted but with some tizzy resonances that were particularly noticeable with piano etc. Those resonances seem to be easing with more running time and already these little speakers are impressing me greatly with their lovely tonal balance, decent if not earth-shaking bass, but above all a relaxing character that is simply and to my ears 'musical'. I know that this term is much used and abused and in part can be interpreted as my liking what I hear, but these speakers is definitely put out a very ordered and time coherent sound, which is what I wanted. Their character is evolving almost by the hour so I'm really looking forward to getting to know them fully, when they are properly run-in.

Although the Compact Alnico Monitors are quite efficient with claimed 94.5dB sensitivity, they do neverthless work well with the 85W Lyngdorf TDAi-2170 which has the considerable virtue of utterly precise channel balance at neighbour-friendly low listening levels, and these speakers do sound graceful at low levels. A friend did bring round a puny little 1 watt valve amp yesterday and that worked very well, even though it did not stir the lower registers like the Lyngdorf does.

Anyway, a good start. I am just a customer, so any enquiries need to go to Divine Audio https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/produc...speakers-pair/

(the speaker stands are Futon Company bamboo stools)
    Yes, they do take ages to run in: I am on my second pair and found the same with both. I believe the recommended procedure is to place them face to face and cover with blankets and duvets and leave them playing ........

The term I would use to describe them is "coherence". They just sound right. Yes they are efficient, but benefit IMHO from the control that a powerful amp provides. I am continuously amazed by how much bass this small driver can produce but more so by the slam it is capable of. Omega speakers sound fast. Try playing "Under the Boardwalk" from Rickie Lee Jones, Girl at Her Volcano.

+ Reply to Thread