+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub Query...

I'm Craig.

Default Sub Query...

If a sub is used, taking the feed off speaker terminals/ amp, does it affect impedance at all?

And I recall when I had a Lyngdorf amp, the very nice folk at REL made me up a special lead to use with it as it was Class D, so would using the REL with a, and I quote ‘fully digital amp’ mean I needed to use the ‘special’ cable again?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Steve.

I would imagine impedance would only be affected if using a passive sub, I don't think a powered sub would make any difference. My BK XLS200 is connected this way, along with a pair of Celestion 5s, and the amp (Amptastic Mini-1) seems perfectly happy
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Craig.

Thanks Steve, I think a call to REL re the cable is necessary.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Ian.

From what I have read you need to take care if you use one sub from both speaker terminals with most class d amps. See rel Web site

https://rel.net/connect-rel-class-d-gear/

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    From what I have read you need to take care if you use one sub from both speaker terminals with most class d amps. See rel Web site

https://rel.net/connect-rel-class-d-gear/
    Thanks for that.

They told me not to connect the black wire.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

I run a Lyngdorf TDAI3400 with a REL stentor III. The Lyngdorf dealer reccomended running rca to the sub for me. There is also the option to use XLR, but I have a short run and the sub is in the same power socket. With the DSP there is no need to pick up from the speaker terminals. The sub and monitors integration is seamless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    I run a Lyngdorf TDAI3400 with a REL stentor III. The Lyngdorf dealer reccomended running rca to the sub for me. There is also the option to use XLR, but I have a short run and the sub is in the same power socket. With the DSP there is no need to pick up from the speaker terminals. The sub and monitors integration is seamless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    My Quake only offers phono (low level) input, and neutrick for high.

And as there is no other option coming out of the stereo amp, other than using the high level option, that’s what I’ve had to do, however, as pointed out earlier, it’s a digital amp, so , as REL recomend, the black wire is not connected, but, the Quake isn’t outputting any audio.

It worked perfectly a month or two back when connected to an analogue amp, so, any thoughts?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Ian.

these are the steps I would do, at your own risk of course, but seems sound based on REL guidance below

0. increase crossover frequency on sub so you can hear more frequencies
    1. check fuses in sub and sub mains plug
    2. test sub high level input with another amp
    3. test sub low level input with another preamp pr source direct to sub, ( use vol control on sub, keep it low to start)
    4 run an rca cable from unused source input on amp to low level input on sub ( turn low level input vol on sub down to zero)
    5 touch/wire the high level black lead on a number of different screw points on amplifer case, probably one closest to mains input
    6 phone Rel

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...Connect-My-REL

I'm Craig.

Already did 6, 5, 1 and 0
    Re 4, surely I’d need an output from the amp, not an input?
    Last edited by icehockeyboy; 09-11-2019 at 11:07.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Ian.

Option 4 "the lead is only being used to join the earth's. But based on what you have tried it sounds like the sub may have died. I would jump to 2or 3 depending on what gear you have available, I think some subs have a 3.5mm headphone type socket input for phones and music players but a 3.5mm to rca adapter would work too for testing the low level input

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast