+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New arrival - Permali (Panzerholz) plinth for TD124

I'm Rob.

Stunning TT and system.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Non-Smoking Man View Post
    Myself and a fellow AoS member visited Tom yesterday evening and were treated to a formidable demonstration of his system - both in mono (top of the range Miyajima) and stereo (middleranking Miyajima).
    There was immense presence to the sound. The leading edges were crisp but completely w/o edginess and the Canterburys went very loud indeed without the sound quality diminishing at all. Everything remained tight and on the money. It was as if the room wasnt there.
    We have both been to visit before but there were many changes (well documented here) since our last visit. The amps from Silvercore (silverwound trannies) are visually impressive, as is the Allnic phonostage (the 'V' version with adjustable RIAA, which we saw in action as Tom played us some 78s of Count Basie etc). As a TD124 user I was particularly taken with the new dedicated and bespoke plinth. Tom's Thoren's uses the Shoppe (sp?) platter and bearing which is usefully massive. Like myself Tom has done away with the flimsy aluminium 'DJ' platter, and has the Rubata (sp?) Cu platter mat, adding extra mass again.
    Im not given to superlatives but the sound from this system is awesome. Well done that man!
    Jack NSM
    Was nice to see you Jack and Brook as well. Always welcome to get feedback from fresh but experienced ears.

The cartridge was the Miyajima Takumi which is in fact their entry level stereo cartridge and my current daily listener ... my Madake is off for inspection at the moment as I've had it several years now and thought it was time for a checkup. The metal mat is a Puresound Rubato, made of copper and based on the Micro Seiki CU-180, which preceeded the Tenuto in the Puresound lineup. This sits atop a Schopper (actually manufactured by Swissonor) non-magnetic 5kg platter and heavy duty bearing. I think also important for the TT sound are the Longdog Audio PSU and the Townshend Seismic Pods which I think are nothing short of miraculous in what they achieve for non-suspended decks like this one.

montesquieu Guest

Don't know if this is the right place to put it but my AT1503Mk1 tonearm arrived back from Angus today after a wee bit of fettling to the wiring, which means my Garrard 401 is up and running again.

While the arm was away I fitted a Sien (SPS) bearing - it's quite a thing, as you can see in the contrast between the original 401, and the Sien one which is a grease bearing like the early 301s.

All up and together and sounding fab in the system with Petrat's Marantz PM4 which I have on long-term loan, and a pair of Tannoy DC6es. I enjoy this system a lot. (Also includes an Orelle CD100 recently acquired from Edwardlon).

I'm Peter.

As always, to my eyes, Russ's plinths are just works of art. I've owned a few over the years .... highly recommended!

Apart from the speakers, cartridges, and cd transport, Tom has pretty much changed or re-engineered everything in his system over the last year, which is really quite remarkable seeing as most of us would have been VERY happy with the previous set-up. It takes a lot of experience and a very clear vision of what sound/presentation you're trying to achieve, for all those changes to deliver 'better', not just 'different'. Having witnessed the process, it was obvious that every single change wasn't just a random 'hit and hope' purchase ... they were all done after extensive auditions and trialling, together with a relentless focus on the importance of developing the system as a whole, not just each piece in isolation. Well done!

montesquieu Guest

Thanks Peter, gosh you are embarrasing me now!

Some wider view kit pics in better light:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123