+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and advice (please)

I'm Ed.

Default Introduction and advice (please)

Dear All

I don't plan to be a member here for very long I'm afraid. I am trying to sell my set-up because I simply don't use it.

I am a horn player in the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and bought my kit 15 years ago. Due to the nature of my job, I don't listen to music anymore at home and, living in a flat, having quality gear is certainly not neighbour-friendly.

Like most people, I was quite keen at first and bought a load of Cambridge Audio Azur gear(640A,C and T), Monitor Audio b4 speakers (which I bi-wired) and lots of quality interconnects and speaker wire. Eventually, I moved into a flat and that put paid to that. As a result it has lain dormant for a long time in the lounge.

Does this stuff still have value? Is this the kind of place to advertise it or do you tend to deal in higher-end gear here?

All help and advice gratefully accepted.

Ed

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EdLockwood View Post
    Dear All

I don't plan to be a member here for very long I'm afraid. I am trying to sell my set-up because I simply don't use it.

I am a horn player in the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and bought my kit 15 years ago. Due to the nature of my job, I don't listen to music anymore at home and, living in a flat, having quality gear is certainly not neighbour-friendly.

Like most people, I was quite keen at first and bought a load of Cambridge Audio Azur gear(640A,C and T), Monitor Audio b4 speakers (which I bi-wired) and lots of quality interconnects and speaker wire. Eventually, I moved into a flat and that put paid to that. As a result it has lain dormant for a long time in the lounge.

Does this stuff still have value? Is this the kind of place to advertise it or do you tend to deal in higher-end gear here?

Ed
    Hi Ed,

Well, I'd strongly suggest making a few posts to activate your PM facility and then advertised your wares in the Private Exhibitions area of the forum.

There's a wide range of audio nut here, so likely most of that will get snapped up if keenly priced.

Good luck!

Oliver

I'm Ed.

Thanks Oliver. I will do just that. They’re all on eBay and facebook too so hopefully will get a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Not something I'd buy but sometimes people are looking for second systems or something for their kids at uni or whatever.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Ed.

Default Introduction and advice (please)

Thanks Lawrence, that’s very helpful.

Last edited by EdLockwood; 30-10-2019 at 15:05.

I'm Andrew.

A shame you are not going to be here long Ed. As a professional musician your insight into the comparative sound of hifi to live instruments etc. would, I am sure, have been most appreciated. Good luck selling your stuff though.

I'm Ed.

Thank you Mr. Mutt,

I think a lot of that is involved in the recording process and in post production.

My experience of hifi reproduction is also somewhat limited because I never got beyond entry-level gear.

Do feel free to ask any questions before I sell it all!

E

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by EdLockwood View Post
    Dear All

Ed
    One way to begin to enjoy what you have as an audio system, rather than selling it, is to connect in a good FM tuner and use it to continue your
    appreciation of classical music. Having music chosen for you via the radio can be at most times be very rewarding.

Perhaps with a minimal system running, that you then enjoy, you can instead sell the components less likely to be used.

I'm Ed.

I think the problem is that when you play for hours a day and are surrounded by it, the last thing you want to do is go home and listen to more.

I tend to listen to R4 more than anything else. Nice idea but I don’t think I’m likely to change my mind.

I'm Dave.

Great to see you here, even if only briefly. A former member of your orchestra used to contribute to another forum, though he died not too long ago. He went under the name of Hornspieler, and made many useful and insightful comments, as well as having some entertaining anecdotes.

Good luck with your equipment sale.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast