+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 12" Tonearm UK Manufacture

I'm Lee.

Default New 12" Tonearm UK Manufacture

I recently spotted this arm at the UK Leamington HiFi show manufactured by a UK company, its a static balance arm and is 12" in length. At the show he was using an SPU supplied by Shuggie. I had a good luck at the arm and it appeared to be well manufactured and is priced very competitively especially as they are all hand made in his workshop.

Im not affiliated with the guy who runs the company but feel that the arm should be brought to the attention of forum members. When I am looking for a new arm myself I will most likely be ordering one of them and I was wondering if any members on here had heard one in their systems?

Here is the link to his web site

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/collecti...rm-new-product

Hopefully the guy will be taking some orders as its worth encouraging UK manufacture.
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Hugo.

Totally agree - this thing reeks of quality and is very well priced. The quality is even more amazing when you know that all the parts are machined by hand, the old-fashioned way, rather than by CNC.

Bigman80 Guest

This fella makes a stunning SP10 plinth from Delrin and Aluminium. I've been lusting after one for a while.

Good coms from him and he answered questions quickly.

Looks interesting.

I'm Deleted.

I’ve chatted to the man who makes this arm. As above, it looks very nicely made and has some interesting design features - it deserves to do well.

At £995.00 (including headshell) it’s very good value!
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Considering the arm is hand crafted to a very high standard of fit and finish, the asking price is more than reasonable.

Whilst the bias arrangement is correct (with the side force decreasing as the arm moves towards the centre of the record), the vertical bearings are such that the stylus does not move in a true vertical plane as it rides a record warp. A minor quibble - even SME took decades to sort that one out.

I like the way the overhang is adjusted in the headshell. I assume the headshell fitting is the standard EIA bayonet type.

Good to see a new British arm manufacturer - I wish him all success.
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

I did point out the vertical bearing alignment to Lee at the Woodland Grange Audio Show

I'm julian.

Nice looking bit of kit, almost seems a shame that i don't need one....
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I did point out the vertical bearing alignment to Lee at the Woodland Grange Audio Show
    Yes you did mate, how much of an effect will it have on play back?
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Yes you did mate, how much of an effect will it have on play back?
    In truth, very little indeed in terms of replay quality since there are many and much more significant factors in designing and making a good tonearm, but it's good practice to align bearing and offset angles to eliminate azimuth changes with armtube level.

I'm Julian.

Anyone tried the headshell alone on, say, a Jelco tonearm?
    Julian.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast