Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot HiFi Show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm bernard.

Unhappy Royal Ascot HiFi Show

Did any members attend the show.
    I went on Saturday a very low turn out due to the bad weather,
    I must say I was very disappointed with the show. The set up of the show in general and the demonstration rooms.
    This was the first visit to the Ascot show and the last.

I'm Geoff.

Moved from Welcome area to Blank Canvas section.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by hard1175 View Post
    Did any members attend the show.
    I went on Saturday a very low turn out due to the bad weather,
    I must say I was very disappointed with the show. The set up of the show in general and the demonstration rooms.
    This was the first visit to the Ascot show and the last.
    Could you expand more on what you didn't like? I'm not trying to stir or anything but as it was the first time a show has been held at a venue like this, I'm interested in any feedback I can pass onto the Hi-Fi News organisation team - good or bad!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm bernard.

I felt that the show was very disjointed no flow to the rooms.
    There also seemed to be a lot of static displays where rooms could have been used to demonstrate the equipment.
    Their was a lack of accessories stalls just two record stalls and a Cord cable display.
    Compared to what was at the Windsor shows.
    Hopefully this will improve for next years show.
    Last edited by hard1175; 31-10-2019 at 21:20.

I'm Adrian.

I was considering going with a friend who live only 40 mins away, but other stuff got in the way. I had a look at the pictures and what struck me most was the fact that nearly all the equipment looks to be high end and probably pretty expensive.

It seems that not a lot has changed in 30 years since I last went to a HiFi show in Southampton. All the rooms then were stocked by dealers or manufacturers touting the more expensive end of their equipment and seemed to be trying to outdo each other. All a bit disappointing for your average punter with a low to mid range budget. Maybe I am missing something but I don’t get it, or is it that they are aiming at the older music buff who has too much money from over from pension etc.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

I watched Analogue Planets coverage on you tube and I felt it looked poor compared to the early NAS shows, which I enjoyed a lot. The NAS shows now look to be pale shadows of their former majesty, havent been in five years to any mainland shows as costs had got crazy.

Surprised News is allowing anyone other than their own to cover it. Got a very strong sense at the beginning of these that PM wanted to protect and make coverage exclusive to them. I think for myself if I was to put money into covering another show it would be Munich not a UK mainland show.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I was considering going with a friend who live only 40 mins away, but other stuff got in the way. I had a look at the pictures and what struck me most was the fact that nearly all the equipment looks to be high end and probably pretty expensive.

It seems that not a lot has changed in 30 years since I last went to a HiFi show in Southampton. All the rooms then were stocked by dealers or manufacturers touting the more expensive end of their equipment and seemed to be trying to outdo each other. All a bit disappointing for your average punter with a low to mid range budget. Maybe I am missing something but I don’t get it, or is it that they are aiming at the older music buff who has too much money from over from pension etc.
    Personally, I would hesitate putting any negativity on the show if I didn't attend, seems a tad unfair to judge it by a few uploaded pictures.

Sorry, there was plenty of gear at ALL price points.
    Obviously the nature of these shows is the show case element, so it's understandable that they prominently show the best.
    But as I said, there was plenty of 'affordable' kit.
    I'm not particularly old or wealthy so I understand the category you are referring to.

Michael Fremer gave a decent (long) round up of the show and he makes an effort to touch on 'affordable' kit..
    But I guess 'affordable' is subjective.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Personally, I would hesitate putting any negativity on the show if I didn't attend, seems a tad unfair to judge it by a few uploaded pictures.

Sorry, there was plenty of gear at ALL price points.
    Obviously the nature of these shows is the show case element, so it's understandable that they prominently show the best.
    But as I said, there was plenty of 'affordable' kit.
    I'm not particularly old or wealthy so I understand the category you are referring to.

Michael Fremer gave a decent (long) round up of the show and he makes an effort to touch on 'affordable' kit..
    But I guess 'affordable' is subjective.

I was offering an observation on what I saw from not a few but quite a lot of photos, and what was written about the show, and as I said it reminded me of a similar approach at a show 30 years ago. As for affordability it is down to size of pocket and what you as a n individual choose to spend your money on, however comparing prices 35 years ago to now a reasonable hifi system TT, amp and speaker you would expect to pay around £1k, taking inflation into account that would now be around £8-10k, however it does seem to me that a great deal of the hifi components today are now pushing well beyond that level. Which is possibly reflected at the show.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm gone.

I didn't go but there's a quite positive write up from Hifi Pig webzine.

https://hifipig.com/uk-hifi-show-liv...t-show-report/

"Overall, this is the best UK hifi show I have ever attended".
    Well, I'm not sure you can much more positive than that!

From the photos in that report it certainly looks impressive.

I'm Justin.

Meant to go forgot about it.

That said I've heard nearly all of it before many times... but I do like a show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast