+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot HiFi Show

I'm Dennis.

I have never really understood the fanatic following for the 301.

These expensive decks have to be related to the vinyl supposed rebirth, nostalgia for those of a certain age, combined with a cynical intention to exploit with what may well be foo.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have never really understood the fanatic following for the 301.

These expensive decks have to be related to the vinyl supposed rebirth, nostalgia for those of a certain age, combined with a cynical intention to exploit with what may well be foo.
    At the time there was nothing made in the UK that was as well made. There were decks made by Connoisseur and by Collaro which were good multi-speed idler drive TTs, but they didn't have any fine speed adjustment and were not a serious competitor to the Garrard.

Apart from the Gates and QRK Russco turntables from America, the TT chosen by the BBC was the Garrard 301; later followed by the 401, the Thorens TD124/II and later still by the EMT 928 and 950 designs.
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

I'm astonished to read that the 'new' Garrard is not 'new' at all! I'd assumed that SME were machining the whole thing from scratch and incorporating sensible improvements where it's good to do so. Maybe that is indeed what they intend to do and this 'restored' show example was rolled out because they needed something to show to the press? I wish them well, but the pricing is maybe a tad hopeful.

Interesting to read Tom's comments about the 'new' TD-124. I don't mind them recreating the look and feel of the old thing, since it's still one of the neatest, smallest and most usable turntables ever made. Nor do I mind it being direct drive. But, the pricing is again 'hopeful'.

I'm Dennis.

Yes, the 301 was standard at Bush, but the suspension was disabled and they rested on foam pads, this probably to do with the start needs. I also used the 124 when working as a sound recordist, a lovely looking deck, but perhaps with a questionable drive chain.

I'm Lawrence.

Anyway I thought the show was great, agree about the catering but I really enjoyed the rooms and also the live entertainment while I had a tea break

Even when I didn't like the sound of a room much, it made me more positive about my system, so in some ways a ticket to the show is excellent value as it saves you buying new kit for a few weeks

The rooms were definitely variable eg. I did think the Monitor Audio guy was more interested in listening to his fave techno tunes than selling speakers.

Really enjoyed Ken Kessler's talk on R2R tapes, pity I didn't know about his other talk until afterwards. A list of talks and times on one page in the guide would have been handy.

Enjoyed the headphone zone too as I'm increasingly getting into that side of things. Picked up a bargain pair of planars too, £100 for some modded Fostex. Another saving there, although I didn't really need them

Wish I'd arranged a demo of the Avantgarde horns, I've wanted to hear a pair for years.

I'll try to find time to give some personal impressions of some rooms at some point.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I'm astonished to read that the 'new' Garrard is not 'new' at all! I'd assumed that SME were machining the whole thing from scratch and incorporating sensible improvements where it's good to do so. Maybe that is indeed what they intend to do and this 'restored' show example was rolled out because they needed something to show to the press?
    Nope ! They are intending to do this ‘overhaul’ polish to all the stock 301s they can.
    No new machining (rivets exempt!)
    So far I think the chap said they have produced 4.
    No.1 was on demo with the big Horns in the main room..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I'm astonished to read that the 'new' Garrard is not 'new' at all! I'd assumed that SME were machining the whole thing from scratch and incorporating sensible improvements where it's good to do so. Maybe that is indeed what they intend to do and this 'restored' show example was rolled out because they needed something to show to the press? I wish them well, but the pricing is maybe a tad hopeful.

Interesting to read Tom's comments about the 'new' TD-124. I don't mind them recreating the look and feel of the old thing, since it's still one of the neatest, smallest and most usable turntables ever made. Nor do I mind it being direct drive. But, the pricing is again 'hopeful'.
    Audio Grail 301 maybe about £2000 ish.
    Bob C plinth maybe around £2000 ish (think thats about right for his start of point)
    Add any arm and cart you like, so say an SME 5 £5200 (crazy price) I would maybe go with a Graham Phantom £4200
    and say a £1000 for say a Benz cart. Thats about £8000 less than what SME want for a deck that is likely no better or worse than an Audio Grail one, thats assuming you want a Garrard 301 in the first place. An AG 401 is what about £1600 ish (used to be about £1250ish if I recall right. I regret not buying one of the 401 Sables back then)

So to say SME pricing is hopeful is being way too kind. The plinth SME is using better not be using squash balls, as Loricraft did, because they collapse over time, with the deck going off level. So what if theirs is made from walnut etc, its not £8000 worth.

Got to say, in my view, SMEs new owners are extremly greedy.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post

Got to say, in my view, SMEs new owners are extremly greedy.
    Agree with all your points, but especially with the last paragraph, quoted above. It's clear SME are no longer interested in the European market and are aiming for Veblen status to tempt Far Eastern plutocrats, for whom money is of no object.

I can just imagine one of them paying £18,000 for a new SME 301, then have it completely altered with Shindo 'upgrades' and a different plinth and arm!
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

I feel rather smug. My 301 was a £150 garage find purchase! £18K?????
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Patrick.

Yes, my grease bearing one was £271 on ebay and I sold the bits it came with for over £100.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast