+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot HiFi Show

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I was considering going with a friend who live only 40 mins away, but other stuff got in the way. I had a look at the pictures and what struck me most was the fact that nearly all the equipment looks to be high end and probably pretty expensive.

It seems that not a lot has changed in 30 years since I last went to a HiFi show in Southampton. All the rooms then were stocked by dealers or manufacturers touting the more expensive end of their equipment and seemed to be trying to outdo each other. All a bit disappointing for your average punter with a low to mid range budget. Maybe I am missing something but I don’t get it, or is it that they are aiming at the older music buff who has too much money from over from pension etc.
    Personally, I would hesitate putting any negativity on the show if I didn't attend, seems a tad unfair to judge it by a few uploaded pictures.

Sorry, there was plenty of gear at ALL price points.
    Obviously the nature of these shows is the show case element, so it's understandable that they prominently show the best.
    But as I said, there was plenty of 'affordable' kit.
    I'm not particularly old or wealthy so I understand the category you are referring to.

Michael Fremer gave a decent (long) round up of the show and he makes an effort to touch on 'affordable' kit..
    But I guess 'affordable' is subjective.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Personally, I would hesitate putting any negativity on the show if I didn't attend, seems a tad unfair to judge it by a few uploaded pictures.

Sorry, there was plenty of gear at ALL price points.
    Obviously the nature of these shows is the show case element, so it's understandable that they prominently show the best.
    But as I said, there was plenty of 'affordable' kit.
    I'm not particularly old or wealthy so I understand the category you are referring to.

Michael Fremer gave a decent (long) round up of the show and he makes an effort to touch on 'affordable' kit..
    But I guess 'affordable' is subjective.

I was offering an observation on what I saw from not a few but quite a lot of photos, and what was written about the show, and as I said it reminded me of a similar approach at a show 30 years ago. As for affordability it is down to size of pocket and what you as a n individual choose to spend your money on, however comparing prices 35 years ago to now a reasonable hifi system TT, amp and speaker you would expect to pay around £1k, taking inflation into account that would now be around £8-10k, however it does seem to me that a great deal of the hifi components today are now pushing well beyond that level. Which is possibly reflected at the show.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I was offering an observation on what I saw from not a few but quite a lot of photos, and what was written about the show, and as I said it reminded me of a similar approach at a show 30 years ago. As for affordability it is down to size of pocket and what you as a n individual choose to spend your money on, however comparing prices 35 years ago to now a reasonable hifi system TT, amp and speaker you would expect to pay around £1k, taking inflation into account that would now be around £8-10k, however it does seem to me that a great deal of the hifi components today are now pushing well beyond that level. Which is possibly reflected at the show.
    Ok, but I'm very positive there was plenty of kit on show and demonstrated, to build a very decent system for well under £10k...
    and of course there was lots of components many times that.

As i say, i thought it was a show that offered a varied price range.
    If i'd been in the market for a new System (i'm not!) at under £10k, i'd have been happy with the offerings.

They did run out of sandwiches which slightly pissed me off

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

I guess it depends on what motivation people have for going to these shows. I went along on Sunday (with Adam) and enjoyed it a great deal. My motivation was not to get ideas on what new kit I could/should buy but to gain an impression on what the 'industry' is putting out these days - invariably my focus landed on speakers - the Magico, Goldmund and Avantgarde speakers were standouts for me. All speakers selling for monies that I would never care to afford. My interest is also on the digital side of things but I've found from previous shows it is quite difficult to get a good handle on that side just looking at stuff. Also usually difficult to get into a worthwhile discussion with the representatives at show. So I largely skipped that. Most of the analog stuff (TTs etc) were wonderful looking (Adam got into a veeeery loooong chat with the SME guy!).

There were quite a few stacks (eg the PS Audio Stella Cell stack) that were aimed at the more 'budget conscious' buyer which certainly competes favorably with the high end stuff.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Most of the analog stuff (TTs etc) were wonderful looking (Adam got into a veeeery loooong chat with the SME guy!)
    Yes, he was explaining at greeeeat length the process of how he tracked down the absoloute correct Rivets for the face plates on the 'new' Garrard 301..
    all very ..... errrrr.. Riveting!!!

These things are extremely important don't you know..

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Yes, he was explaining at greeeeat length the process of how he tracked down the absoloute correct Rivets for the face plates on the 'new' Garrard 301..
    all very ..... errrrr.. Riveting!!!

These things are extremely important don't you know..
    I know I know Adam - you keep telling me.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Clive.

I don’t know what show the nay sayers went to but it was not the show I attended on the Saturday. I was with a friend who was actually reporting and also photographed the show for HiFi Pig. There was plenty of kit at all price points, nicely laid out and In bigger rooms. The way the organisers had used the available space was very good as sound from other rooms rarely intruded. Demo’s seemed to sound better than hotel rooms. All in all we both felt that with a bit of tweaking the show will grow to be massive, beating Bristol and even and with support from trade and public possibly rivalling Munich in the years to come.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I don’t know what show the nay sayers went to but it was not the show I attended on the Saturday. I was with a friend who was actually reporting and also photographed the show for HiFi Pig. There was plenty of kit at all price points, nicely laid out and In bigger rooms. The way the organisers had used the available space was very good as sound from other rooms rarely intruded. Demo’s seemed to sound better than hotel rooms. All in all we both felt that with a bit of tweaking the show will grow to be massive, beating Bristol and even and with support from trade and public possibly rivalling Munich in the years to come.
    Ok sounds better than the impression the pictures give. So maybe I will get there next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm gone.

I've been impressed by what folks have said and by the pics, it will certainly be in my diary for next year.

montesquieu Guest

Well I certainly hope it continues. It's 15min away from me so very handy (though to be fair Beaumont wasn't that much further). I had to be at a wedding in Scotland though last weekend.

The positive reports have been very encouraging.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast