+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top class CD player wanted

I'm Graeme.

"The Esoteric ticks some boxes.
    Easily repaired even here in Spain.
    Extremely well built.
    From reviews sounds excellent though perhaps a bit analytical and midrange a tad forward - the only negatives."

I have the X-03 and for a long time I would have agreed with the above, certainly compared to my previous Electrocompaniet which had a wonderful natural feel and I quite regretted parting with. However a few months ago I changed the interconnects and lo and behold there was all of the resolution which I had appreciated but without the coldness and slightly harsh edge which I had previously experienced.

It is an ugly begger however!

Graeme
    Last edited by Florence; 05-11-2019 at 11:08.

I'm Flo.

you have PM

I'm Simon.

I know of a Sony X777ES in champagne which is available

Very good condition, with remote, Audiocom re-clock and no dents or scratches

Note: it isn't mine, if it is of interest I will put you in contact with the owner
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    German Ebayers rarely use Paypal, bank transfer is their preference.
    I am on the lookout for another spinner and UK ebay is stuffed full of overpriced rubbish to be honest.

Spent the entire day yesterday trawling through the german site and now the vast majority of sellers accept paypal and even more surprising, they are a bit less reticent about shipping to the UK like they used to be. Got a nice list of potential candidates in my watch list now and as soon as my player sells that's where I am heading for to buy my next one.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I am on the lookout for another spinner and UK ebay is stuffed full of overpriced rubbish to be honest.

Spent the entire day yesterday trawling through the german site and now the vast majority of sellers accept paypal and even more surprising, they are a bit less reticent about shipping to the UK like they used to be. Got a nice list of potential candidates in my watch list now and as soon as my player sells that's where I am heading for to buy my next one.
    Fair enough, my experience has been different.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

So, im stuck between a Sony SCD-1 which has rave reviews but possible problems with future repairs or a heavily modded Marantz CD94 with non oversampling, new clock, recapped, bypass caps etc at a tad shy of half the price of the sony.....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Martin.

I'd pass on the Marantz, if you want to move it on not everyone would want those mods - I wouldn't!

Sony are a safe bet.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Am.i worrying too much about servicing the Sony - from what I've read parts are hard to get if it goes tits up. There are shed loads of cd94's to scavange for parts - but of all players I've read up on the Sony gets the best reviews. This use the hardest purchase I've made.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    So, im stuck between a Sony SCD-1 which has rave reviews but possible problems with future repairs or a heavily modded Marantz CD94 with non oversampling, new clock, recapped, bypass caps etc at a tad shy of half the price of the sony.....
    Don't touch the SCD1, lasers hard to find and very expensive if found. I had its smaller brother, sold it on and a few years down the line the laser went, it was scrapped by the owner as a replacement laser mechanism could not be found.

From a collecting point of view a Marantz collector wont want a modified Marant, particularly a CD94/94mk2/CD12/CD95 etc
    Regards Neil

I'm Jamie.

Hi Ade,

I had an Esoteric X-03SE which I loved, and had a similar experience to Florence above with cables. I got rid of it and regretted it soon after.

After much searching I settled on a Luxman D-08U which I find a total delight. Glorious density and timbre, superb soundstage with no digital nasties whatsoever. To me, it slightly eclipses a TAD D1000 Mk2 which I had for a fairly long loan. It is probably more a matter of personal taste. The sheer density of information coming off some one-off Peter Gabriel SACDs courtesy of B&W (and a very generous friend) was simply astounding on the TAD, but is no less on the Luxman, which just feels a touch richer, the other machine a (tad?) drier. The Luxman is so liquid I can listen for hours. Build quality is massive but I find the looks subtle compared to the TAD which was simply not as solid or slick. Both absolutely top notch and IMHO quite a jump up from the Esoteric. Also better than an Esoteric K-05 I borrowed and a Moon 750D I owned briefly before it developed a fault, although I liked the Moon. FWIW, I also had an Esoteric C-03x preamp which shared the sonic purity of the Esoteric SACD players but lacked the indefinable that makes my Modwright 36.5 DM pre so special. I don't subscribe to the view that Esoteric are sterile-sounding, but they are leaner than Luxman to my ears.

The Luxman also has an absolutely cracking DAC which surpasses the Luxman D-06 DAC I had before, itself no slouch. I've only used it over USB so far but it has SPDIF and optical inputs too.

Alas, I may have to get rid of it - PM if interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast