+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top class CD player wanted

I'm Adrian.

Have some interesting offers I'm considering - anyone else got something interesting looking for a new home?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm David.

Might a Marantz CD94 mk2 be of any interest?
    Source 1: Lenco GL75, Kuzma Reference; Source 2: Geoff Bull-modified TDA1541A S2 Marantz CD94/CD85; Source 3: Leak Troughline 3; Source 4: Nakamichi DR1. Preamplifier: Croft Epoch; Phono stage: Rotel Michi, AI SUT; Power amps: Leak TL12 plus/ Leak ST60 both Classique Sounds rebuildss; Integrated solid state amplification: Primare I30; Speakers: Sonab OA4/ B&W DM3/ ESL57.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle-Dee View Post
    Might a Marantz CD94 mk2 be of any interest?
    PM sent
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Drew.

Look no further than a Bel Canto CD2. Stand-alone cdp or transport as you prefer. Top loading Cd mechanism solid and durable...

montesquieu Guest

Adey I would suggest you at least try and hear one of these old TD1541 players before you for out a large amount of money for one. The chip may be excellent and overall they are well built but the output stage is typically a bit meh. In my view the CDM1-based players are now stupidly overpriced for what you get - it's a fashion thing.

You'd be better off with something less fetishised ... something using the CDM12/CDPro mechanism or its derivates as a transport (such as the Bel canto mentioned above, or the Audio Note CDT2/II transport or above, or tons of others). Top notch performance and you get to try different DACs (I'd recommend Audio Note DAC 2,1x or upwards but there are tons of options).

Or if it needs to be one box I'd personally think about Esoteric.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Adey I would suggest you at least try and hear one of these old TD1541 players before you for out a large amount of money for one. The chip may be excellent and overall they are well built but the output stage is typically a bit meh. In my view the CDM1-based players are now stupidly overpriced for what you get - it's a fashion thing.

You'd be better off with something less fetishised ... something using the CDM12/CDPro mechanism or its derivates as a transport (such as the Bel canto mentioned above, or the Audio Note CDT2/II transport or above, or tons of others). Top notch performance and you get to try different DACs (I'd recommend Audio Note DAC 2,1x or upwards but there are tons of options).

Or if it needs to be one box I'd personally think about Esoteric.
    It's true that I haven't heard a TD1541 player for some years, Philips 960 was my last machine based on those chips I think.

I remember selling the top pioneer stuff back in the day but wasnt impressed by them. I heard a CD12 and liked it but ended up with a Roksan transport and dac which I was very happy with - feeding audio innovations triode monos at the time.

I don't want overly analytical and no soul, I like rich timbre and excellent soundstaging. I'd prefer a well executed design that can stand on its own merits and be within the top level of performance at a reasonable price.

The Esoteric ticks some boxes.
    Easily repaired even here in Spain.
    Extremely well built.
    From reviews sounds excellent though perhaps a bit analytical and midrange a tad forward - the only negatives.

Reading up on AN players and Audio Research, which I know Tom rates highly.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Dominic.

You could do a lot worse than a Vincent CD player like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-C...UAAOSwT7NdmdEN

I have the bottom of the range player and it is an absolute stunner, just wish I had the loot to buy the one above!
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm gary.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    You could do a lot worse than a Vincent CD player like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-C...UAAOSwT7NdmdEN

I have the bottom of the range player and it is an absolute stunner, just wish I had the loot to buy the one above!
    This just sold. A very very good cd spinner.
    gweat, weally gweat

I'm Adrian.

I have the following options...

Esoteric x03SE
    Unmodded CD94 mkII
    Heavily modded, serviced CD94 mkI
    CD95 transport

If I go for the 95 transport - what DACs are considered top notch for not silly money. (I'm reading up on AN DACs).

Adey
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I have the following options...

Esoteric x03SE
    Unmodded CD94 mkII
    Heavily modded, serviced CD94 mkI
    CD95 transport

If I go for the 95 transport - what DACs are considered top notch for not silly money. (I'm reading up on AN DACs).

Adey
    The Audio Note DACs - higher end ones anyway - really start with the 2.1x. Beware of earlier DAC2/3/4 machines without the .1x suffix as these while they use the same AD1865 chip, they don't have the non-oversampling, non digital filtering approach that the later AN DACs popularised. You see some claiming to be upgraded but many don't have the necessary output transformers etc to really be factory level .1x upgrades, so whatever has been done will fall short. The factory 2.1x is a lovely bit of kit and can be upgraded as far as the 4.1x at a later date if you feel the need.

Don't pay too much for the 95 transport. I haven't owned one but I got my AN CDT2/II transport after a period of ownership of the Wadia WT3200, which is essentially the same machine made by Phillips/Marantz for Wadia, with a different faceplate, and while the Wadia was decent and have a lovely chunky feel to use, the AN sounded head and shoulders better. Again, some bits of kit acquire legendary status way back when, and somehow retain this glow long after their technical capabilities have been superceded.

I was looking again myself a couple of years ago at a CDM1 based transport with all possible recommended mods, and after much research and discussion around the place concluded that I was better off with what I've got.

Of the list above i'd be most tempted by the Esoteric.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast