+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello From the Independent Republic of Pencombe

I'm Terry.

Again, many thanks for the welcomes. To respond to a couple of points. I do not have a delivery time for the Radford but have asked Will for a provisional one as my "installer/fitter" needs a rough date. The audio furniture is based on a design I nicked of the interwebly. The man who makes them charges around £580 plus delivery from USA. Probably not a bad price but I have a dreadful affliction - if I see something I like my first response is "can I make it". My grandchildren have a constant list of requests which have included a two tier pirate bed, Lego tables, grand dolls house, dumper truck, Frodo's sword, a Tardis with lights and sounds, a woodworking bench and last week, a Captain America shield! Had to Google Captain America as I assumed it must be Trump Protector. That's how I ended up making the furniture. I will try to post some pics as I progress.

I'm Terry.

Default Best Way to Blow a Speaker

Not sure this is the right place but seemingly not allowed to post elsewhere. Following on from my last post, I am still awaiting the amp so to console myself I bought a set of Stax ES headphones! I am progressing well on building the hi fi unit and will post some pics of progress soon. Question I want to ask concerns my environment. Our village does not have gas or street lights but in all other respects is quite modern - we have a road going through, a bus that comes every Wednesday and goes somewhere. We rely on a splendid wood burner and are self sufficient in wood as we usually have a tree fall over every six months. Trouble is the burner does create "dust" and I want to be able to keep my new Ardens clean. I have seen various air blowers on the market but cannot find any sensible suggestion for blowing dust off speaker cones. Some aficionado said he used a vacuum cleaner with a brush on the end but after having discussed this with the Ardens, we feel this is a bit silly. Has anyone got any ideas on effective but gentle air blowers. I want to avoid cans at all costs as they seem to contain chemicals as well as air. Thanks in advance.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by vinydobby View Post
    Not sure this is the right place but seemingly not allowed to post elsewhere. Following on from my last post, I am still awaiting the amp so to console myself I bought a set of Stax ES headphones! I am progressing well on building the hi fi unit and will post some pics of progress soon. Question I want to ask concerns my environment. Our village does not have gas or street lights but in all other respects is quite modern - we have a road going through, a bus that comes every Wednesday and goes somewhere. We rely on a splendid wood burner and are self sufficient in wood as we usually have a tree fall over every six months. Trouble is the burner does create "dust" and I want to be able to keep my new Ardens clean. I have seen various air blowers on the market but cannot find any sensible suggestion for blowing dust off speaker cones. Some aficionado said he used a vacuum cleaner with a brush on the end but after having discussed this with the Ardens, we feel this is a bit silly. Has anyone got any ideas on effective but gentle air blowers. I want to avoid cans at all costs as they seem to contain chemicals as well as air. Thanks in advance.
    We have a wood burner too, they don’t get that dusty, I use a micro fibre duster on the wood a wax them lightly every couple of weeks. I tend to keep the speaker grills on and again every couple of weeks I use a soft brush attachment on our Miele vacuum and turn the suck down halfway, this works just fine. If I was going to get dust of to cones I would use a very soft brush, like a large artist brush.I would avoid blowing dust around as you will just be putting back in the amp air to settle on speakers agAin’t.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12