+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello From the Independent Republic of Pencombe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Terry.

Default Hello From the Independent Republic of Pencombe

Hello. I am a 71 year old decrepit hippie getting worse daily! 50+ years ago I got my first decent paypacket and decided I needed, what we called then, "a stereo system". I loved music (Floyd, Dead, Joni Mitchell, Roy Harper etc) but had no clue about systems. I went into a hifi shop in Birmingham and asked the man for a system! A couple of weeks later I was mesmerised with what the hifi man had sold me. It was:

Tannoy Lancaster speakers
    Goldring turntable
    Quad 33/303
    Stax SR3 headphones

Now, 4 children and 7 grandchildren later I have decided to try to return to the sound I loved. What I am setting up is:

Tannoy Legacy Arden (sitting in the spare room)
    Linn Selekt renderer (keeping speakers company)
    Audiolab 3000C pre-amp
    Radford Revival STA 25 (being built)
    LP12 (in for new motor and service)

I hope I have chosen wisely! As soon as the Radford arrives Audio Affair will help me set it all up. I am also making a unit to house it and I have tried to attach a picture but not sure I have done it correctly. I am using new scaffolding boards rather than reclaimed ones. I got a really talented man to make me a solid walnut plinth for the LP12 to sit on. The plinth will sit on 4 Ukishima 6A - adjustable isolation feet. The only thing that still foxes me is a decent record cleaner as I have hundreds of records that have never been properly cleaned. I am pretty good at research but despite my best efforts I go round in circles. I would love to have a go with a Degritter but spent all my money! Not sure whether to make an ultrasonic unit or make a vacuum unit - either way I need to keep cost down a bit. Apart from music my passions are woodwork and stamp collecting which I have similarly taken up again after a 50 year gap. I doubt that I will contribute much to the forum initially but I am really enjoying exploring some amazing threads and learning so much. Sorry for the ramble - I put it down to disintegrating brain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread