+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subsonics with new phono stage. Is this a comms issue?

I'm Richard.

Thanks Geoff, but as per my post none of those settings are solving the problem. Much as I thought they would. Moreover, the Rega/2M mix is a very good match and has never caused me problems before. The subsonic problem happens with brand new and old LPs. So it's not the record either. I'm re-lubing my bearing next, as per Tom's menu of suggestions.

I'm Jonathan.

The Edwards MC3 has a 7Hz filter on by default (switchable) so could you switch this off to see if you can reproduce the effect?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If subsonic record warps and ripples are being reproduced by the deck, i.e. bass cones oscillating, it suggests the arm/cartridge mass is overcoming the cantilever suspension. This happens when the arm/cart resonance is too low. It occurs if a cartridge is too compliant for the combined mass with the arm it's mounted on.
    In this case it's a 2m black (22um, high compliance) and Rega 303 which is (by all accounts, though figures aren't available) a low mass arm which should be well suited. The absence of figures makes it difficult to get a resonance calculation though.

@Richard do you have a test record (such as the hifi news one) with a resonance test? That might shed some light.

I'm Richard.

Good call Jonathan but I sold it. I have another loan stage coming. R

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    In this case it's a 2m black (22um, high compliance) and Rega 303 which is (by all accounts, though figures aren't available) a low mass arm which should be well suited. The absence of figures makes it difficult to get a resonance calculation though.

@Richard do you have a test record (such as the hifi news one) with a resonance test? That might shed some light.
    I do, Tom. x2: Hi Fi News and Ultimate Analogue Test LP.

I'm Dave.

If the original two phono stages didn't exhibit this problem, it is most likely something to do with the new one.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If the original two phono stages didn't exhibit this problem, it is most likely something to do with the new one.
    Well, that’s the logic for sure. But given a house move and a change of room there are so many variables. I’m borrowing another stage so... will see.

Tom: I used both my Test LPs tonight and everything is spot on. Even cantilever resonance. But the problem persists.

I also remounted my motor today as it was making a tiny noise caused by some trapped mounting glue. And I cleaned and re-oiled the bearing assembly. Probably overdue.

I also reset and routed the wiring from my cartridge.

All these things have helped. I’m sure of it. But the subsonics persist.

So, I’ll await the test alternative phono stage. It will arrive soon.

Thanks for everyone’s kind input.

Richard

I'm Geoff.

Logic suggests to me that if the warp and ripple signal wasn't present, the phono stage wouldn't be reproducing it. I'd still be investigating the tonearm and cartridge, sticky arm bearings or an overcompliant (defective) cartridge cantilever suspension could account for the problem.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

The same turntable, arm and cartridge didn't give the problem with the previous two phono stages.

I'm Geoff.

The same turntable, arm and cartridge didn't give the problem with the previous two phono stages.
    That may be the case if those phono stages have a rolled off bottom end. Still doesn't rule out the arm/cart combo.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast