+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommend a good brand electrolytics for tt psu

I'm jamie.

Default recommend a good brand electrolytics for tt psu

as above,im thinking about replacing the 43yr old electrolytics in my turntables power supply.
    whats you choice of good quality caps for this area?
    im wary to do it as its working fine,should i do it a a preventative measure?
    opinions welcome both fore and against.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm stuart.

Without spending a fortune either Panasonic or nichicon
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I would buy from somewhere like Hi Fi Collective rather than EBay, might cost a little more but at least you are sure you’re not getting fakes.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Nichicon, Panasonic, Elna, and I'd get them at Mouser or Farnell. Avoid Chinese stuff as a general rule.
    One of the little grey fellas looks a bit swollen, don't know if it's the pic or not. But other than that there's arguments both ways. I personally can't see why not recap ageing electrolytics, it costs little and buys surety, but electronic engineers love to get sniffy about waste and will rightly dissuade you from fixing what ain't broke.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

hi,
    yes i was planning on going with either panasonic or nichicon,the trouble is there are so many series made by both i would be grateful for which type,in particular nichicon,the panasonic fm have been recommended.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Oh boy, for that you'll need a circuit diagram and a visit to DIYaudio. I don't even know what deck you have!
    You can try to swap like for like with ranges that still haven't changed, or Google for equivalent new ranges from the same manufacturer. Too many variables!

I'm jamie.

well thats over my head to start with,i have the circuit diagram and the cap values match with the ones on my board,are you saying i have to know the ripple current/esr values etc?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    well thats over my head to start with,i have the circuit diagram and the cap values match with the ones on my board,are you saying i have to know the ripple current/esr values etc?
    Leave it alone. Its working perfectly, so why upset it. Its an old pcb and age could've made it slightly brittle or the Next thing is you've stuck too much heat on it and lifted a track.

Honest, I love modding but your speed is accurate so what will it bring, especially when it's already spot on.

Tbh, if you 100% want it done, I'd give it to a pro to do. Can't buy spare PCBs for that tt

I'm James.

Are we allowed to know what it is, O Illuminati?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Are we allowed to know what it is, O Illuminati?

its in my sig,sony tts-8000
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast