+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Common and not so Common Method to Listen to Computer Stored FLAC Files.

I'm John.

Default A Common and not so Common Method to Listen to Computer Stored FLAC Files.

I have quite a few FLAC Files stored on the Laptop, that are used for Background music in the Kitchen replayed mainly through VLC Software, via a Bluetooth Speaker.
    The same Computer will be used to play a Movie on through VLC, via the Skybox Pink Connector HDMI Cable and into the TV, in VLC there is a Audio Section and if I choose PDP Monitor, the Movie Soundtrack will played through a Denon Integrated PMA255UK that is connected to the TV with Tannoy Mercury 2.5's as the Speakers.
    In the past I used to play the odd FLAC File while I was waiting for the full audience for the
    Movie to settle down to watch, these files were played throught the Laptops built in Speakers and were not very impressive in any description, but have served as reminders to have a HiFi session with the dedicated set up.
    More recently I changed the method for how the FLAC Files are replayed and I investigated the Sky HDMI> VLC> Audio>PDP Monitor as a replay and as a result got a FLAC File replay through the Denon and Tannoy's.
    The TV must be on to achieve this, so as a little bit more investigation, I started playing around with VLC>Visulisations, I won't go into too much description, but it is a little bit captivating getting tranced out at a TV Screen with music replays being the creator of the on screen graphics.
    This write up is about the Sound Quality I am perceiving, It seems too good for such a basic set up.
    It is not Audiophile SQ, but it is free, as the VLC is a free Software, most importantly, it is not fatigueing or uninteresting.
    It has got the Qualities to hold one in place, prompting a few quick FLAC File changes to attempt to catch it out and disprove the method as any good.
    In a nutshell, following a experience I have had just recently, I will say it is worth a Audition.
    I have started a Pre Xmas Decorating drive.
    Painting isn't painting unless there is backgroud music, so I set up the Laptop>VLC, to randomly replay through the TV>Denon>Tannoys. Tracks were being played that I did not listen to for many years, and the quality I could hear while in another room, kept me returning to the TV Room and sitting down for a minute or two in front of the Speakers, being careful with my mucky painted tainted mits.
    All I can say is that this replay method has left a impression, as a method it is not so commonly spoke off, and for me it is the first time music from
    a 'up to date digital replay method' has been replayed in my home, making me want to include it in the main system to check out any further qualities it might deliver.
    A bit like when my first foray with CD was first added to the main System not too long ago.
    I am keen to hear any views on this as a replay method from others who have used VLC and are also experienced with other modern digital replay methods.

I'm Chris.

Hi John
    I hope you do not mind, but I have copy and paste your excellent informative post, to include paragraphs, minor editing and also changed some positioning of full stops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have quite a few FLAC Files stored on the Laptop, that are used for Background music in the Kitchen replayed mainly through VLC Software, via a Bluetooth Speaker.
    The same Computer will be used to play a Movie on through VLC, via the Skybox Pink Connector HDMI Cable and into the TV.

In VLC there is a Audio Section and if I choose PDP Monitor, the Movie Soundtrack will then play through my Denon Integrated PMA255UK that is connected to the TV with Tannoy Mercury 2.5's as the Speakers.

In the past I used to play the odd FLAC File while I was waiting for the full audience for the movie to settle down to watch, these files were played through the Laptops built in Speakers and were not very impressive in any description, but have served as reminders to have a HiFi session with the dedicated set up.

More recently I changed the method for how the FLAC Files are replayed, and I investigated the Sky HDMI> VLC> Audio>PDP Monitor as a possible replay method and as a result got a FLAC File replay through the Denon and Tannoy's. The TV must be on to achieve this.

So as a little bit more investigation, I started playing around with VLC>Visulisations, I won't go into too much description, but it is a little bit captivating getting tranced out at a TV Screen with music replays being the creator of the on screen graphics.

This write up is about the Sound Quality I am perceiving, It seems too good for such a basic set up. It is not Audiophile SQ, but it is free, as VLC is free Software, most importantly, it is not fatiguing or uninteresting.
    Rather It has got the qualities to hold one in place. It prompted me to test with a few quick FLAC File changes to attempt to catch it out and disprove the method as any good.In a nutshell, following a experience I have had just recently, I will say it is worth a good audition.

I have started a Pre Xmas Decorating drive. Painting isn't painting unless there is background music, so I set up the Laptop>VLC, to randomly replay through the TV>Denon>Tannoys. Tracks were being played that I did not listen to for many years, and the quality I could hear while in another room, kept me returning to the TV Room and sitting down for a minute or two in front of the Speakers, being careful with my mucky painted tainted mits.

All I can say is that this replay method has left a impression, as a method it is not so commonly spoke off, and for me it is the first time music from a 'up to date digital replay method' has been replayed in my home, making me want to include it in the main system to check out any further qualities it might deliver.

A bit like when my first foray with CD was first added to the main System not too long ago. I am keen to hear any views on this as a replay method from others who have used VLC and are also experienced with other modern digital replay methods.

I'm John.

One day I might be able to make it'll all make sense.
    That GCSE Grade F in English hasn't proved very useful, what was all that studying for
    I'll have to get the Grammarly App, the Advert claims it's for Divvies like me.

As said the use of VLC is a not so common referred to method of Digital Replays.
    I hope the reason for edit is to help get this method more comprehensible to other viewers of the thread, in which case it will be very welcome.

I'm Geoff.

I think you will find that VLC is used by many people on this forum. It is the "swiss army knife" for AV.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

One day I might be able to make it'll all make sense.
    That GCSE Grade F in English hasn't proved very useful, what was all that studying for
    I'll have to get the Grammarly App, the Advert claims it's for Divvies like me.

As said the use of VLC is a not so common referred to method of Digital Replays.
    I hope the reason for edit is to help get this method more comprehensible to other viewers of the thread, in which case it will be very welcome.
    Yes that was the reason.

I enjoyed understanding what you found with VLC

Cheers / Chris

I'm John.

The popularity of VLC sounds promising, as members will not to feel any concerns about downloading the free App, if it is already in wide usage.
    Hopefully there will be a few descriptions put forward of how it compares as a replay software on FLAC Files compared to alternate replay software choices that are seen under discussion.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I am keen to hear any views on this as a replay method from others who have used VLC and are also experienced with other modern digital replay methods.
    VLC has been recommended to me on many occasions.
    There is one drawback to it - it will do whatever it has to do to play whatever you ask it to play, and it doesn't tell you what it's doing while it's doing it.

I prefer to know the processes involved (it means that my local digital library has compatibility with just about any playback method I care to use, and it all requires the absolute minimum of processing).

I'm not sold on the idea of using a laptop as a playback devices, either.
    I've been using dedicated streaming devices for a long time, with a local server and library.
    I walk in the door, turn on the amp, open up an app on my smartphone, and have music playing in no time.
    If I'm using the laptop I can control the music from the laptop.
    Finish with the laptop, close the lid, laptop goes to sleep, music playback is unaffected.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    VLC has been recommended to me on many occasions.
    There is one drawback to it - it will do whatever it has to do to play whatever you ask it to play, and it doesn't tell you what it's doing while it's doing it.

I prefer to know the processes involved (it means that my local digital library has compatibility with just about any playback method I care to use, and it all requires the absolute minimum of processing).

I'm not sold on the idea of using a laptop as a playback devices, either.
    I've been using dedicated streaming devices for a long time, with a local server and library.
    I walk in the door, turn on the amp, open up an app on my smartphone, and have music playing in no time.
    If I'm using the laptop I can control the music from the laptop.
    Finish with the laptop, close the lid, laptop goes to sleep, music playback is unaffected.
    I am not sure what you mean by this. if you go to the tools menu in vlc there are tabs for media info and codec info. Clicking on these gives access to comprehensive info about the file being played.

I'm John.

I'm fine with any concerns that will be raised about how the use of a Laptop with VLC does not meet the modern expectation of a user interface, I expect it to be behind, but with a Bluetooth Mouse and VLC> Audio> PDP Monitor, the mouse scroll wheel serves as volume control and over rides the Amps Volume setting, if I set the Amp Volume control at approx
    10.00 O Clock, this is just above usual TV Level for me.
    With the mouse scroll wheel used to control the volume the 10.00 O Clock level can be surpassed to a much higher volume level.

When playing back ground music, I put the Amp at Approx 1.00 O Clock which is too much for close to speaker listening and use the Scroll wheel to reduce the Volume Level to a acceptable level when close to the speakers and crank it up big time when elsewhere.

I am keen to find out how VLC as a replay software compares in SQ to other more referenced replay softwares.
    Last edited by JohnG; 27-10-2019 at 13:43.

I'm Grant.

nothing wrong with using a laptop. there are in line devices that will improve it tho. using a good program like audirvana or jriver to name 2 makes it possible to do nearly anything
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread