+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garrard Zero 100 Bugger About!

I'm Mark.

Default Garrard Zero 100 Bugger About!

So,
    This lovely Garrard Zero 100 I got from a fine fellow on this 'ere forum has started its journey.
    I've decided to remove all the auto stop/start/return mechanisms, and make it a fully manual TT.
    The platter spindle bearing is the first thing I will upgrade, followed closely by the replacement of the gorgeous, but frankly worn out, Tonearm - a pity this because it is beautiful, but the pivot bearing has tons of play, as does the pivoting headshell bearing.
    I'm in the market for a keenly priced British arm if anyone has owt - perhaps a Decca or a Thorens or some such?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

So....it will cease to be a //-tracker now? A pity.

But in awe of your efforts! Hope you took photos/tagged stuff!
    Chris.

I'm Dennis.

I find it very hard to believe that the ball races can have done so much work that they are worn out, and even the main arm ones come to that. They don't exactly do any work, maybe they were sloppy to begin with.

I'm Mark.

There are significant grooves in the spindle bearing washers where the balls run, and a little bit of audible rumble when spinning the platter - I'm gonna see what I can MacGyver there.
    The Parallel Tracking Arm, while a design masterpiece, simply isn't very well Engineered...

I'm Dennis.

That sounds like what I referred to in another recent post when I reported that in the 70s I complained to Garrard about its design, and they then introduced the single ball centre bearing The design was asking for trouble.

However I thought you were describing failings in the arm bearings, that was what I thought unlikely and referred to in my post #3.

I'm sorted.

Good luck with it Mark, be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    That sounds like what I referred to in another recent post when I reported that in the 70s I complained to Garrard about its design, and they then introduced the single ball centre bearing The design was asking for trouble.

However I thought you were describing failings in the arm bearings, that was what I thought unlikely and referred to in my post #3.
    Both really - the arm has tons of play at the pivot end, and at the headhell pivot too. I think it's simply a great concept but poor implementation...

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Good luck with it Mark, be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Cheers Roy!

+ Reply to Thread