+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warped vinyl frustration

I'm Adrian.

Most records I have purchased new or second hand have been flat. 2nd hand can be tricky if advertised as NM or VG+, but having said that I have only had to return 2 records, which were definitely not as described. Records I buy from charity shops I carefully inspect under natural light if possible, occasionally I get comments from staff that it is for charity, and I point out that does not mean I have to buy a piece of rubbish to only throw it away, and they are selling something. I have not had an issue with purchases from Amazon, not yet anyway.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Sanjoy.

Some of the prices charged for vinyl in charity shops nowadays warrant the closer inspection of the vinyl!

Never had a problem with warping from Amazon as their packaging is very stiff. Had the odd bad pressing with clicks and scratches that i returned but as they send out the replacement straight away rather than wait for you to return the old one it hasn't bothered me.

I'm Mick.

Had an occasional warped record but not to many. The main problem I find is the poor sound quality on some records that are pressed today.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Drew.

The fun continues...just taken a warped vinyl back to a local shop and exchanged it...for yet another (new) warped one

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Naim that tune View Post
    Some of the prices charged for vinyl in charity shops nowadays warrant the closer inspection of the vinyl!

Never had a problem with warping from Amazon as their packaging is very stiff. Had the odd bad pressing with clicks and scratches that i returned but as they send out the replacement straight away rather than wait for you to return the old one it hasn't bothered me.
    The warping in new vinyl tends tends come from the pressing itself, not storage/ packaging

I'm richard.

My stance on poor quality NEW LP's is that I always send them back. I agree with the OP - IMHE c.70% go back; I also find warping and dishing the most common problem and occasionally noise or numerous clicks being present. Damage caused during delivery does happen but I find that rare.... And FWIW I get better used LP's from quality Discogs sellers.

Sellers/Vendors never state (ie 'health' warning on the site) that the quality may be suspect - if they did then, that would place you in a position of accepting that risk at point of purchase and effectively limiting your chances of getting a replacement if the quality was unacceptable to you - unless of course it is 'unplayable' ie 'it was not fit for the purpose for which it was brought'. So, as there are no contractual like warnings placed in front of you at point of purchase then, you are quite reasonably expecting a near perfect product and quite reasonably expecting to have it replaced if you so wish...

I've had to use that position with one vendor who then replaced the LP without further protesting. So, for me, I always send LP's back.

I don't have a blacklist of vendors !

regards Richard

I'm Nat.

A couple of months ago I bought a new LP by an up and coming band and played it for the first time last night it was warped and sounded very, very average. This was not a bog standard release but was all analog record live on tape and mastered at Gearbox records who are usually not bad add to that it was pressed at Optimal in Germany this all must have cost the band or its backers a whole heap of money and the result wasn’t great not even an improvement over a Tidal stream via an iPhone SE, Google Chromecast and Musical Fidelity V Dac/V PSU.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12