+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Achromat Platter - To Stick or Not To Stick?

I'm Nat.

Default Achromat Platter - To Stick or Not To Stick?

I have an Achromat for my Technics 1200 and wondered what you all thought about sticking the mat to the platter. I also have a Michell Engineering Clamp so can get the mat pretty flat.

I'm Hugo.

Definitely to stick - this results in a much more assured and musical sound compared to the mat being simply placed on the platter. I use a very thin smear of Vaseline between platter and Achromat, which gives a really good and consistent bond, but one that's easy to undo if required.

I'm Nat.

Thanks hadn’t thought of Vaseline. I have bought a gel based double sided sticky tape that is supposed to leave no residue and can be stuck and unstuck very easily, supposedly.

I'm phil.

stuck gives better results and vaseline works very well although double sided tape was my choice as a little less cleaning involved
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm John.

If cleaning Vaseline residuals is a concern and there is a 25 - 50 mm Low Tack tape available, the tape can be used to protect the surfaces from coming into contact with it.
    Put a 50 mm x 50 mm pad of Low Tack Tape on the Platter and Platter Mat so that the Platter Mats Tape overlays the Platters Tape.
    A pea size blob of Vaseline can be placed on the Platter Tape Pads and the Platter mats tape Pads can be compressed onto the Vaseline.
    There should be no evidence of any contamination on either material and peeling of the tape will leave a original surface.

I'm Nat.

I found that even with the very thin double sided tape I used that it caused the Achromat to spin as if it where ever so slightly warped even with the clamp screwed down, so I removed the tape and it spun dead flat again. Next I think I'll try the vaseline.

I'm Mick.

I used a double sided tape and had no issue. Either way it made very little to the sound produced.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Neil.

Having bought a funk mat that some kind soul used tape on it damaged the underside. I personally have not used anything under any of the mats I use and I would not recommend anything that damages your platter, or the mat. If you come to sell it will hurt resale value. Vaseline is a benign option.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nat.

Yes I had the same issue with a used Achromat but price was good and I was able to remove the residue. Last night I went down the vaseline route and it's worked very well but as Mick says above differences are marginal it has though locked the mat in place and with the clamp it's now dead flat.

+ Reply to Thread