+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CUTTING STONE/ RESIN armboards?

I'm Adam.

Default CUTTING STONE/ RESIN armboards?

I have 2 armboards that need adapting for SME arms.
    they are currently cut with circular holes but these will 'fit' within the new SME oblong holes.

Anyone have a good resource for stone cutting a small job like this?

OR possible heads up on the Tools I'd need to (possibly!) do the cutting myself...
    obviously I've checked the web for DIY diamond cutters etc. just wondered if there is an easier way. Or is this the way?

30mm thick and 13mm thick respectfully
    i'd also need to drill smaller holes for the fixing bolts.

Appreciate the advice.

BTW I have contacted the usual suspects on here but they are unable to accommodate.
    pics below for refrence.

Last edited by WESTLOWER; 24-10-2019 at 12:31.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Gary.

The resin one you can probably get away with dremel and necessary normal tools.

The stone one I think is not for d.i.y.

One possibility is a stone mason, maybe through a funeral directors.

Second, be nice and grovelly to a local water jet company, ( or an importer of said machinery who normally have a demonstrator machine. I got an importer like this to reprofile some brake pads that I wanted to use in my sports car that the compound wasn't available for.) it will take seconds after the machine is programmed.

Gary

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Bit of a long shot, but have you contacted a monumental mason? Cutting slate and granite for headstones, plaques etc. is their business.

Not sure if they are equipped to cut out apertures, but they may have a stone cutting machine.
    Barry

I'm James.

Local kitchen worktop supplier. Most work with granite and slate and can accommodate this.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

I’ve not encountered this specific material (though I am familiar with many similar materials) but it appears to be chips of stone, or possibly quartz, embedded in a resin. You can usually cut such materials with a standard hole saw (you can buy these quite easily and even diamond ones on eBay). Actually, I’ve just now checked eBay and there are literally dozens of suppliers selling cheap sets of diamond hole saws (the whole set is less than £10.00). Use a low speed and plenty of water to cool and lubricate - don’t press too hard or go too quick. Clamp the workpiece down and preferably use a pillar drill. This is assuming the stone chips are very hard, if they are not 5hen just a standard hole saw will work fine with all the synthetic work surfaces I have worked with (or a router and template).
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread