+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Rega Planar 2/3 TT vs new ones (2016)

I'm Mauro.

Default Old Rega Planar 2/3 TT vs new ones (2016)

Hello there,
    In your opinion:

is the old Rega Planar 2/3 (the one with the green/white logo, RB250/300 and captive mains lead) still a valid turntable today respect to the new 2016 versions?

Has anyone replaced an old Rega Planar with a new one and made the comparison?

Many thanks.
    Mauro
    Last edited by gerlando; 24-10-2019 at 07:36.
    why is nothing ever simple?

I'm Chris.

Hi Mauro,

I have heard both many times although admittedly not back to back but I currently own a Planar 3 2016 model and my impression is that it is noticeably cleaner across the aural bandwidth and is more significantly dynamic.

However the original Planar 3 was good and with a good service (main bearing clean and re-lube with the correct oil), a new belt and cartridge properly set up it will probably still work well and give surprisingly pleasing results.

If HiFi dave is viewing this thread I am sure he can offer a more definitive view.

Hope this helps a little

Chris

I'm Mike.

In my opinion there are significant upgrades to be had to both the old and newer models, the 1st and most significant is to remove the motor from the plinth and use something like a SRM Tech silent base as a motor mount / plinth decoupler, If you buy a mk1 obviously give it a service, then there are things like better platters and sub platters, then if you want to be a bit controversial you could go for a better plinth.

I got a mk1 for £20 a few years back and have bit by bit upgraded to a point where the only original part left is the bearing, it has an Audiomods series 6 arm and an Audio Technica ART 9 cart and to my ears sounds awesome, in my view i'd always buy an old one and upgrade it.

[IMG]url=https://flic.kr/p/2hHJFGk][/url]IMG_1769 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    In my opinion there are significant upgrades to be had to both the old and newer models, the 1st and most significant is to remove the motor from the plinth and use something like a SRM Tech silent base as a motor mount / plinth decoupler, If you buy a mk1 obviously give it a service, then there are things like better platters and sub platters, then if you want to be a bit controversial you could go for a better plinth.

[IMG]url=https://flic.kr/p/2hHJFGk][/url]IMG_1769 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Interesting - I have an old Mk1 Rega 3 and the urge to mod it is strong - even though the finances don't stack up in doing so!

One thing that put me off the motor upgrade was sticking the new motor to fibreboard. How does the SRM silent base allow the motor to be decoupled - the website doesn't explain very well. If you drop the motor to rest on the base and not the Rega plinth - how do you get the pulley to achieve enough height to accept the belt and drive the sub-platter?

nice replacement plinth btw - what make is that?

I'm Mike.

Ok the silent base is a sheet of acrylic with a rubber cup stuck to it that the motor sits in, the sheet has 3 spiked feet and your plinth sits on top of the silent base decoupled by 3 sorbothane domes, any motor noise is soaked up by the combination of the rubber cup and the domes and as i've said does a very good job. in my view the only drawback is setting it up which can be a pain in the backside.

The plinth is a ebay special birch ply with a rosewood veneer from a guy in Moldova, if you're ever in the Chorley area you're more than welcome to pop in for a coffee and have a look.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Ok the silent base is a sheet of acrylic with a rubber cup stuck to it that the motor sits in, the sheet has 3 spiked feet and your plinth sits on top of the silent base decoupled by 3 sorbothane domes, any motor noise is soaked up by the combination of the rubber cup and the domes and as i've said does a very good job. in my view the only drawback is setting it up which can be a pain in the backside.

The plinth is a ebay special birch ply with a rosewood veneer from a guy in Moldova, if you're ever in the Chorley area you're more than welcome to pop in for a coffee and have a look.
    that's a great offer thanks. I think i've seen those plinths on ebay? anyway - I'm sure I will one day understand how you can drop the motor a few MM and it still sticks up enough to allow the pulley to be at the right height

yours is a lovely looking deck!

I'm Barrington.

I'm not saying anything, this is my Rega Planar 3 1996.

I'm shahrin.

..was...
    awesome
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

+ Reply to Thread