+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power supply (for Garrard) question

I'm Karl.

Default Power supply (for Garrard) question

Thanks for the insight gents. I wonder if Nick can make a voltage adjustable version. I know a fair few people have talked of the benefits of being able to take the voltage down to around the 220-230v mark in order to get motor vibrations down to a minimum. This is said to have a positive effect . I also think i will try source a 401 motor aswell which is widely regarded as an improvement over the 301.

Has anybody seen the Hanze hifi HAT CPS-2 ? It looks like this is a dutch power supply on the market . I really like the vintage styling but can only find one write up which seems positive. Ive emailed them to ask for some more piccies , prices and specs but it seems to have the best of both worlds with voltage adjustment and analogue oscillators for a clean sinewave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigbird; 25-10-2019 at 06:12.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm inthescottishmafia.

AFAIK Nick supplies it with 225v output, you could ask about the variable output, pretty sure he could sort that for you.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Hugo.

Jaap at Hanze is possibly the most knowledgable and competent person when it comes to idler decks, so his HAT power supply should be one of the best, but I suspect it’s not a cheap option. Well worth investigating though.

I'm Adam.

Another LDA quartz TT power supply user here.

It's a no brainer, quality build, No foo, easy to use and very very effective giving the presentation more focus & snap. (if that's what you want from your vinyl!, obv. but an essential question to ask yourself!)

No too sure why you would need it variable voltage, as well documented the optimum seems to be 220 - 230v, which Nick would set to your requirements.

I had a very flexible Variac on my Garrard for a while and below 220v it lost some of the drive that is essentially the Garrad's DNA signature.

Anyway IMHO the cleaning of the power is more important than dropping the voltage.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

Ive had a word with Alexander at hanze and he has said that the engineer(possibly Jaap?) is on vacation but essentially it can be built fully customised to any spec that suits the TT and motor. Prices are 1600-1900 euros so not cheap, but it does look the business

The reason i was wondering about voltage adjustability is that from what i can gather in reading the forums , people seem to have had good results with a range somewhere between 220-232v so would be nice to have a tinker to see what setting ,if any, sounds best.

I know a few of the power supplies offer this as standard

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Does anybody know if its cheaper to buy direct from Nick rather than through MCRU etc ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I can mail him for you if you like?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dave.

I'm not quite sure what the requirements are here. Are we talking DC to AC or AC to AC?

Of course some AC -> AC circuits may go via DC.

I suspect it's AC and a good clean sine wave with accurate frequency control may be the requirement. I do actually have a Garrard, recently rescued from my loft, but I haven't looked at the motor to check it out.

Some DC->AC converters don't generate a very clean sine wave, and probably also lose energy which must result in heat.

I wasn't thinking about driving motors, but did look into this some while ago while considering good inverters for use with DC output from PV panels.
    Dave

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    This is what James sent me with regards to digital sinewaves. That they are in steps so therefore will be noisier.
    Sorry but that is simply not true: the 'steps' are filtered by a low pass filter and the output is an analogue sinewave. Any 'noise' (actually harmonics) would be the result of poor filter design.

If you are able to diy, there is a design available on lenco heaven that works well with my 301. Search for Nigel's Speed Controller.
    PS. it's analogue too.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what the requirements are here. Are we talking DC to AC or AC to AC?

Of course some AC -> AC circuits may go via DC.

I suspect it's AC and a good clean sine wave with accurate frequency control may be the requirement. I do actually have a Garrard, recently rescued from my loft, but I haven't looked at the motor to check it out.

Some DC->AC converters don't generate a very clean sine wave, and probably also lose energy which must result in heat.

I wasn't thinking about driving motors, but did look into this some while ago while considering good inverters for use with DC output from PV panels.
    Garrards have AC motors, and yes I’d agree on those requirements.Nicks power supply is basically a small mains regenerator and provides all those requirements.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast