+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power supply (for Garrard) question

I'm Karl.

Default Power supply (for Garrard) question

Hi guys im looking into different power supply options for my garrard project.

After speaking with James at Whest , he has recommended the VPI ADS supply as one of the best he has come across. It is completely analogue which (apparently) makes it quieter than supplies that have any digital parts in the chain , but im not sure wether it is compatible with the Garrard motor?

Can anybody tell me if they’ve had experience with this or even if it has the sufficient specifications to drive the Garrard motor.

Ive now read up on the usual Monarchy , LDA , CTC , phoenix etc supplies which all seem to be an improvement but this analogue one has got the juices flowing and i like the sound of it.

Cheers

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I haven’t heard it, but I don’t see how it can be better than the LDA power supply. Providing the motor with the cleanest and most accurate voltage and frequency is surely the most important thing. It’s been specifically designed for Garrards and Lencos.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Just noticed that VPI spec a max motor wattage of 10w. The Garrard motor is specced at 12w.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

The LDA as said will work with various types of Idler Drive making it very verstile, so if a opportunity arises to use another Idler TT Model the LDA owner can rest assured that they will be supplying it with good matching power supply and exceptionally clean mains signal.
    The versatility of the LDA is not limited to Idler Drives, it will have a similar effect on certain belt drive TT's, the list of Belt Drive TT's it has had a noticeable improvement on is growing.
    I had the pleasure of talking with a individual on the weekend at the Sheffield Event,
    who was informing me it has transformed their TT to another level,
    the 'icing and cherry are now on the cake' as claimed, as a result of the LDA being used on their belt drive.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I haven’t heard it, but I don’t see how it can be better than the LDA power supply. Providing the motor with the cleanest and most accurate voltage and frequency is surely the most important thing. It’s been specifically designed for Garrards and Lencos.
    Thanks for the reply Ali. I think that is essentially what the VPI does also but it just uses analogue oscillators to supply a clean stable 50hz sine wave( or at least thats how I understood it when I spoke to James) ???.
    Also that it has a power output of 15w not 10w .

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

This is what James sent me with regards to digital sinewaves. That they are in steps so therefore will be noisier.

I'm Karl.

The LDA and Monarchy were top of the list before i had spoken with him so this has now thrown a little spanner in the works . I also liked the idea of the Monarchy audio regenerator as it not only does the clean sine wave but the voltage is adjustable which is also said to be beneficial to the Garrard motors, i think Artisan fidelity use them. LDA doesnt have this feature

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nick will supply it with whatever voltage you want. Frequency is also adjustable to lock in exact speed, very useful with a Garrard.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mark.

The VPI one is no cheaper than Nick's, it doesn't look as slick. I'm not sure how they compare technically but I know a fair bit about the LDA one as a few years ago I supplied Nick with an abandoned DIY supply unit I'd built from a well-known circuit - which didn't cut the mustard. He sussed out all the faults in that design, then designed his own much better and higher-power unit which eventually became the LDA product. My mate in N.Wales, Lenny, who used to work refurbishing Garrards, got a loan of one for his 401 a year or two back, and I came down for a listen. It didn't take more than a few seconds to realise how much better it is than normal mains or mains via a variac etc. Nick found that you could hear surprisingly low level of distortion on the waveform.

I'm Lee.

I use the LDA on my Lenco and Spacedeck it’s an amazing piece of kit and makes quite a noticeable difference
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast