+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Rogers Hifi Answers Transmission Line speakers

I'm Lawrence.

I should add that I'm totally happy with my TDL Studio 2s, the opportunity to try these just came up and being a bit of a TL fanboy I couldn't say no I don't think I'll be allowed to keep them for long so watch this space if you fancy a pair of big well made vintage TLs.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Here they are I have to say they're very well made and in beautiful condition. They also look very nice in white, if they were wood they would look much more ponderous (they are very big!). They were made by the same guy who made the tonearm in another thread of mine, he was very skilled I have to say.

Sadly I don't think I have any room for them in the long term...

I'm Lawrence.

I think I'll paint the baffles a matt black if I keep them a while, what sort of paint is best I wonder?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Do you intend dispensing with the grills? Do they sound better without the grills?

Anyway if you do want to paint the front baffle, since it look to be made of chipboard/MDF, I would have thought any matt black paint would do. Make sure you avoid spraying the drive units and the acoustic filling showing at the transmission line port. IMO they will still look awful without the grills, but if that is what you want to do then so be it.
    Barry

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Very clean sounding, they go low but the bass is not overblown in any way. My mate said they sounded like PA speakers. They did remind me of being at a gig at times, but in a good way. The IMFs had more bass. I got the impression that the R50 design was about totally nullifying the back wave of the bass driver whereas the IMFs were more about getting some low frequencies out of the ports and extending the LF range.

I think this chimes with what I had read somewhere before- the TLS80 being somehow a bit hyped in the low bass, and the R50 being somewhat more neutral in that range.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Do you intend dispensing with the grills? Do they sound better without the grills?

Anyway if you do want to paint the front baffle, since it look to be made of chipboard/MDF, I would have thought any matt black paint would do. Make sure you avoid spraying the drive units and the acoustic filling showing at the transmission line port. IMO they will still look awful without the grills, but if that is what you want to do then so be it.
    No I would keep the grilles on, I just thought the stain had faded on the fronts. I might try a black oak wood stain as per the original article. This is if I keep them of course, it might be out of my hands

I'm Allan.

Hi Lawrence

How are you finding the Chris Rogers Hifi Answers Transmission Line speakers, do you still have them ?, I built a pair in the mid 80s and have cried since the day I let them go, I must have spent the best part of 6 months just getting the stuffing sorted, even when played low the Bass still moved your sternum, Iv had R50's since and they were nothing like.

Allan

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan D View Post
    Hi Lawrence

How are you finding the Chris Rogers Hifi Answers Transmission Line speakers, do you still have them ?, I built a pair in the mid 80s and have cried since the day I let them go, I must have spent the best part of 6 months just getting the stuffing sorted, even when played low the Bass still moved your sternum, Iv had R50's since and they were nothing like.

Allan
    Hi Allan I decided that they needed to have the crossovers refreshed to sound right and I didn't have the time as I've got to much on with work and kids.

Fortunately they went to a good home - a gent going through a divorce whose wife was taking her late father's old pair of the same speakers with her.

I'm now listening to a nice pair of Amphion speakers with 12" woofers in sealed boxes

I'm Andre.

Cambridge Audio 'R50' were one of my very early speaker purchases, sounded great. Had 'R40' aswell.

I'm Allan.

Blimey Lawrence, going of the price of them buggers they should sound just a tad bit better

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast