+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Transport or streaming or new DAC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hibster_2000 Guest

Default CD Transport or streaming or new DAC?

For those with 5he knowledge or experience.

Is it worth me investing in a budget CD transport, or should I rip the CD to a lossless format using exact audio copy (or similar) using my audio PC? Both would use a Caiman SEG.

The SEG is run from a linear power supply, with Dorado and has the firmware upgrade. Would the money be better spent on a new DAC, if so, what? The SEG could be sold to fund part of the upgrade.

Overall budget would be about £500, so do I need to save some more money?

I'm Chris.

There'll be lots of differing ideas. BUT, as we're in 21C, I'd suggest Lossless downloads. I was wary of HDD storage but my ears can't hear any diminution in quality, certainly over a 'budget CD player'.
    I use CDs as 'hardcopy' reserve.

WAtch out for the Vinyl hardcore responders......
    Chris.

I'm Geoff.

I have a lot of CD's, so it makes sense to me to keep a CD player. I use one of mine with a decent DAC and get fine sounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Hibster_2000 Guest

Oh, I have Vinyl as well. I just find digital makes a nice low maintenance change.
    I was thinking about getting an accurate optical drive to rip the music to SDD. I have built my PC so it has the minimum amount of moving parts inside. The only one being the current optical drive.
    I have not gone mad on a linear power supply for it though.

I'm Grant.

Have to say i dont spin many these days although ive an oppo.
    Mostly just rip them. Its easier certainly and dont think there is any decrease in musicality. Might be the reverse, although thats subjective.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

I simply rip (using EAC) any CDs using a PC. As of last weekend I now no longer have a dedicated CD player (Tom has it now for his secondary system. ).

IMO a well sorted CDP will beat hands down a thrown together file based system. Likewise a well sorted file based system will beat a basic CDP. Personally I find having a file based system more flexible (for example being able to stream the same files either locally to many end points or externally).

I've never had or heard a SEG. But I have found different DACs make a huge difference so with that in mind I think you may find it worthwhile trying out different DACs. If you find a good upgrade then sell the SEG, if not sell the new DAC. (< life of a box swapper. )
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

i used to use eac, but dont now. jrivers rips are as good now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i used to use eac, but dont now. jrivers rips are as good now
    100% agreed. However JRiver costs money (after 30 days) whilst EAC is free.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Ian.

If you have a dedicated PC for audio I'd consider converting it to a Vortexbox which is a dedicated Linux OS for music (and video if you want it). It's also free! I've had one for years although more lately I use an Innuos Zen mini which is Linux based and probably a development of Vortexbox. I've had various DACs attached and never found the Vortexbox to be the limiting factor plus the ease of use, ability to do playlists etc, and add ons such as BBC iPlayer and streaming service makes for a very flexible system.
    So convert your PC and consider upgrading your DAC.

Hibster_2000 Guest

The PC has an Asus Essence STX II sound card, with upgraded Opamps.
    I also use Fidelizer to cut back unwanted Windows services.

To my ears, I prefer the Asus onboard DAC but I am open to suggestions of what would be better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast