+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Transport or streaming or new DAC?

I'm Tony.

I tried a Cambridge CDX a while ago into my DAC and thought it was a step down from my Rpi2/Hifiberry+

I've since changed that set up to a rpi3+/Allo digione signature which was another step up.

I'd recommend going that route into your SEG...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

Hibster_2000 Guest

What is a good upgrade path in terms of a new DAC?

I'm John.

I have only recently found a place for Digital to take a prominent role in my system, I have been in possession of Vinyl Front End Based system since the early 90's and in 2017 put a CD Player into my system for the first time.
    The CDP was a Cambridge Audio Azur 540C, so about a £40 used item.
    It done enough to convince me to purchase CD's to investigate it further, and it is safe to say I had become a individual with a inquisitiveness to investigate digital further, so I went into trying out some Streaming Type Set Ups, with the most exotic being a Home System Audition on a Convert Audio £5000 device and down to another Home System Audition £500 device the brand I can't recall.
    CD and Vinyl trounced the £5000 device in the Convert Owners system as these front ends were used on a second visit with two guests as auditioners. The £5000 sounded poor in comparison to the other front ends. The rest of the system in use on this day was very expensive.
    On the £500 device the system had Stacked OTA Otec 2 Treble Panel ESL 57's so I know what to expect from these speakers, as I am a long time 57 owner and at present have OTA Otec Treble 57's.
    I felt the Quads were falling very short on their overall delivery, and rightly or wrongly labled the Streamer as the weak link.
    I use the two above as references as these were in dedicated home sysems.
    I have listened to streamers in a few rooms at HiFi events and have not been captivated in those environments either.
    All this adds up to my reversal on the streaming options and I am now using a Custom Built DAC that was first used with the Azur 540, this was a revelation as to what could be achieved in SQ, the Azur 540 is now in a cupboard, following the introduction of a PS Audio Perfect Wave CDP producing a SQ that is giving my vinyl set up a real challenge.
    I like the idea of the accessability of mega amounts of music files, so as a result will work out away to achieve this for the purposes of having house filling background music.
    It is more than likely going to be a two computer based set up, making the most of existing computers in the home via low noise SPDIF and the DAC.
    When this is up and running it will be A/B compared to the Perfect Wave CDP > DAC to assess the SQ.
    I am off the gas with this as a method at present and not even fluent in the language being used to explain it as set up, I have yet to Audition this set up in a system, but know some are doing similar things with NUC's and do not promote the Branded Streamer Route.
    At present Branded Streamers are not for me, dedicated CD has a place, and Computer File Replays via a DAC is the area to be investigated.
    I occasionally replay files stored on the Computer > VLC Software > Skybox >
    Denon Amplifier > Tannoy Speakers and this being very basic when selecting the VLC side bar options for me is acceptable as background music, so I know there is a improved SQ to be extracted.
    I have yet to use the Computer > 5K Player Software >Denon >Tannoys , as I haven't taken the time to set the Computer up without the Skybox included, the 5K Player will only play through the computer speakers and I have failed to divert to the Amplifier >Speakers, but the 5K Player out performs the
    VLC when using it on a Cable connected Bluetooth Speaker.

I'm Martin.

Hi, last night I removed my SACD CDP (SA-15) and added a BlueSound Node 2i, digital coaxial out to a one-off DAC onto a valve pre amp and KT88 monos. Very please with the results. The BlueSound interface is very intuitive (manual is not). M

I'm Marcus.

Getting a PC to sound as good as a good CD player can be fiddly and expensive, but does give a lot of flexibility. I found the BlueSound to sound better than my Fidelized PC, you can easily attach a portable hard drive to it, the software is very good, you can control from your phone or tablet. Use something like a nice Furutech power cable to power it, at least for me, gave a significant improvement.

An excellent DAC is the Roksan K3, these are available at a knock down price of £400, as it is discontinued, and the entire stock was bought out.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12