+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balanced cable technical question

I'm Geoff.

Default Balanced cable technical question

Hi,

I wonder if the techies here can answer a question about this adaptor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-4mm-to-....c100005.m1851

I am looking for an adaptor to allow me to connect a balanced output with a 4.4mm socket to a pair of monoblock power amps with balanced inputs.

This looks suitable in that it is a 4.4mm to dual xlr adaptor. However, I notice that only 2 of the 3 xlr pins are wired. As I understand it, a balanced cable has a 3rd connection for ground alongside the 2 +/- signal cables.

Any advice welcomed.

I'm Grant.

That I think is a 4.4mm balanced audio player to an amp or preamp. You can get them with the ground too, for active speakers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Hi Geoff
    Yes that cable will not function correctly, as pictured in the sellers images, as it is missing Pin 1 XLR as ground.

The rear part of the cable beyond the R- ,would need to connect to the silver braid screen, possibly it already does this.
    In the circumstance, just ask the seller to test continuity between the 4 pin rear ground metal, to the right of R-, and XLR Pin 1
    for each channel

With a lot of eBay sellers they simply on-sell from another supplier, but if they are a good seller they will get an answer for you
    confirming if ground from the 4 pin connects to Pin 1

Hope that helps

I'm Martin.

Is it possible the shield connection is not shown ?

I can recommend you try Mark Grant cables, he may be able to build you one.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Hi,

I wonder if the techies here can answer a question about this adaptor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-4mm-to-....c100005.m1851

I am looking for an adaptor to allow me to connect a balanced output with a 4.4mm socket to a pair of monoblock power amps with balanced inputs.

This looks suitable in that it is a 4.4mm to dual xlr adaptor. However, I notice that only 2 of the 3 xlr pins are wired. As I understand it, a balanced cable has a 3rd connection for ground alongside the 2 +/- signal cables.

Any advice welcomed.
    Thanks all for the advice. I contacted the vendor and they have confirmed that the cable is grounded. Even redrew the wiring diagram on the ad!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I contacted the vendor and they have confirmed that the cable is grounded. Even redrew the wiring diagram on the ad!
    Great result, Geoff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

According to the eBay supplied image for the lead:

It will meet the requirements of connecting a balanced source to a balanced load.
    Barry

I'm Will.

Good old XLR pin 1, completely pointless yet the cause of so many problems!
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread