+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Res Music Player for Mac

I'm steve.

Default Hi Res Music Player for Mac

I’ve just ordered a Topping D10 DAC basically to dip my toe into the pool which is Hi Res music. I store all my music on my Macmini in itunes or as it’s called now in OS Catalina, just “Music”. Unfortunately “Music” does not have support for Hi Res music files so I need to add a new music player application that does, preferably a free rather than subscription service. I looked online and the most recommended one was Vox, so I downloaded it, unfortunately when I tried to open the program an error message came up, “It is not possible to open this program as Apple is unable to check if it contains any malicious software”
    I’m wondering if any Mac using forum member can suggest a suitable Hi Res player that will run ok with OS Catalina, I don’t mind a one off payment to buy it but not a subscription service, any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 21-10-2019 at 15:52.

I'm Jonathan.

Hi,

I use JRiver on a Macbook via USB to an Audiolab M-Dac and pleased with it’s performance on all file types. Interface is easy to use. The optional remote software for phone or tablet is also easy to use and can be used to control the server or locally so you can listen e.g. on headphones or stream to another system.

I have heard the latest version of Audirvana is also good. I have an early version and the interface is a bit primitive but the sound quality good.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bosa View Post
    Hi,

I use JRiver on a Macbook via USB to an Audiolab M-Dac and pleased with it’s performance on all file types. Interface is easy to use. The optional remote software for phone or tablet is also easy to use and can be used to control the server or locally so you can listen e.g. on headphones or stream to another system.

I have heard the latest version of Audirvana is also good. I have an early version and the interface is a bit primitive but the sound quality good.
    Thanks for the recommendation, a couple of friends use JRiver and like it particularly for the Hi Res compatibility, if my intention was to change from using the new Music application on the Mac and using JRiver for everything it would probably be worth the expense but I only intend to use it as an additional just to handle Hi Res files which “Music” can’t. Since starting this thread I managed to find an Apple certified download of Vox and I’ve installed it on my Macmini, the UI is pretty basic from what I can see, I downloaded a free sample Hi Res music track (labelled FLAC1206 kbps 24bit 96khz) which it played and sounded very good, although not being familiar with the content I didn’t have anything to compare it with. Just need to get hold of some Hi Res versions of some music I’m familiar with so I can assess if there is a perceptively better SQ with the Hi Res versions and also to compare the Wolfson DAC in my CXA60 to the Topping D10 which is on its way.

I'm Grant.

I'm on windoz but use both audirvana and jriver.
    Jriver is more adaptable and AV probably just has the edge sound wise. AV probably uses more pro essor and memory.
    Jriver is cheaper and has rip capability plus lots of extras.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

Just as an update, I’ve finished up downloading the JRiver Media Centre 25, there’s enough difference between it and the Music app in Catalina that it will take me a while to get used to “driving” it. I’d be interested to hear from others who use both players as to whether they think there’s any difference in the SQ of the 2 players. As I only setup JRiver a few hours ago I don’t think I’ve used it enough to make a solid judgement call but my initial impression is that JRiver “may” give a slightly bigger and weightier sound although doing a really accurate AB is not easy as the 2 players output at slightly different volumes so my observations are purely subjective.
    I think the real-time bitrate readout is interesting, I thought ALAC was about 800-900kbps but I’ve just been listening to one of my favourite albums, Gaucho by Steely Dan and noticed peaks at 1200+kbps, surprising

I'm Steve.

I use a PC but have Foobar which is free and plays all high res files. You can also use foobar on your phone and use it to rip CD's.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’ve just ordered a Topping D10 DAC basically to dip my toe into the pool which is Hi Res music. I store all my music on my Macmini in itunes or as it’s called now in OS Catalina, just “Music”. Unfortunately “Music” does not have support for Hi Res music files so I need to add a new music player application that does, preferably a free rather than subscription service. I looked online and the most recommended one was Vox, so I downloaded it, unfortunately when I tried to open the program an error message came up, “It is not possible to open this program as Apple is unable to check if it contains any malicious software”
    I’m wondering if any Mac using forum member can suggest a suitable Hi Res player that will run ok with OS Catalina, I don’t mind a one off payment to buy it but not a subscription service, any advice would be appreciated.

Personally I use Audirvana on Mac and its great, reliable. simple and easy to use. It a one of $75 payment I believe.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

Both great players, Jr has a lit more in it tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

I use Logitech Media Server on my Mac.
    But now trialling Audirvana (30 day free trial). One benefit I hope to see is that it natively supports my streaming service, Qobuz, and means I can manage playlists from my IPad whilst listening downstairs.
    But hi res - please, save your money and don’t bother. You will not hear a difference between that and CD standard unless you have the ears of a bat. Trials have clearly shown that the vast, vast majority of people cannot tell the difference in any reliable way when comparing THE SAME RECORDING in the two formats. Most people struggle to differentiate MP3 320 from CD.
    Hi res is just a scam to get us paying more for the same music, again. Far more important is how the music has been recorded and mastered.
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    I use Logitech Media Server on my Mac.
    But now trialling Audirvana (30 day free trial). One benefit I hope to see is that it natively supports my streaming service, Qobuz, and means I can manage playlists from my IPad whilst listening downstairs.
    But hi res - please, save your money and don’t bother. You will not hear a difference between that and CD standard unless you have the ears of a bat. Trials have clearly shown that the vast, vast majority of people cannot tell the difference in any reliable way when comparing THE SAME RECORDING in the two formats. Most people struggle to differentiate MP3 320 from CD.
    Hi res is just a scam to get us paying more for the same music, again. Far more important is how the music has been recorded and mastered.
    You are not wrong IMO
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast