+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Res Music Player for Mac

I'm steve.

Default Hi Res Music Player for Mac

Since I got hold of hi res versions of some of my favourite albums I’ve been making quite a lot of comparisons, in many instances there have been noticeable improvements in quite a few of them. Of the ones I’ve listened to 2 albums stand out, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and Diamond Life by Sade, both easily improved on their original CD versions, I’m under no illusions that this is caused purely by being converted to hi res files, that would be ridiculous, no doubt it is the skilful remastering of the original masters that’s probably where most of the improvement comes from, but what does seem clear is that when the intention is to produce an album in a more advanced digital format then all efforts are made to make the result as good sounding as possible. I’ve always considered Rumours in its original form to be a rather bland and dull sounding album although the content is superb, the version I’ve heard now is far superior, more dynamic, improved clarity with the brilliance the original recording lacked, if other albums get the same sort of treatment, then whether or not hi res in itself is better is irrelevant, if the music sounds better then the hi res versions are worth seeking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

I recall reading that you could get an earlier iTunes download, but I'm no expert.
    I've always used Lossless iTunes, via my filterless 'Redbook' dac-MHDT Havana (with Sodders upgrades)

?? Are the LPs you mention 'remastered'? Would explain the changes.
    Chris.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    I recall reading that you could get an earlier iTunes download, but I'm no expert.
    I've always used Lossless iTunes, via my filterless 'Redbook' dac-MHDT Havana (with Sodders upgrades)

?? Are the LPs you mention 'remastered'? Would explain the changes.
    I’ve never bought a download in my life and I doubt I ever will, all the music that’s on my Mac has been ripped to ALAC from my own CDs collected over the last 35 years or so, some of my favourites have been bought more than once when remastered versions appeared, eg Brothers in Arms and Love Over Gold. The 24bit version of BIA has had a further remastering and whoever did it must have been drunk cos’ it’s crap, the first (and only) time I played it, it made me cringe , it sounds like the volume was set to normal and then the loudness button on the amp has been pushed, result, bloated boomy bass and ear piercing treble, a superb album totally destroyed, needless to say I deleted it smartly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

But iTunes system isn't 'bought'is it? I seem to recall Srajan on 6 moons sticking to an earlier version of iTunes
    I agree; I've never bought music, just put my own CDs on to a HDD.
    I know what you mean about variable quality. Shades of 'names' being treasured at mastering stage.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12