+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phonomac AT 1010 Mk VI mini review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Drew.

Default Phonomac AT 1010 Mk VI mini review

Hi Guys

I've now had the Phonomac AT1010 MkVI tonearm for a few days and although I'm still at a few hours listening -and probably a few more away in terns of fine tuning/ tweaking- I'd like to offer some impressions. The arm replaces a PMAT 1005MKII which was itself a very admirable performer. (System consists of: Garrard 401 with Tenuto mat, LongDog power supply, AT33 PTG MKII, LongDog 300B SET, Valab LCR MKIII, Edingdale speakers).

Initial observations are as follows:

- Sound has gained a much greater sense of attack/ urgency/ dynamism. So much more energy and thrill to musical presentation, in a sense my system seems to have awoken from an extended hibernation.

- The bottom end has so much more depth and presence while still integrating seamlessly with the mids. Treble is very good too and I expect some tinkering with VTA and VTF will further improve matters.

- Presence and soundstage is stunning, Music spills from here, there, everywhere...I'm constantly hearing more aspects/ details to the musical arrangement on tracks I thought I knew inside out.

- I mentioned to Angus that while my wife usually just ‘tolerates' my music after a long day at work, just the other night she was singing out loud to Tracy Chapman. This, I think is the key: music is so much more engaging and draws the listener even closer to it.

Angus, in addition to his tireless advice and help has produced something very special here, I had no idea a tonearm could be such a critical component. More to follow in the next few days…

Last edited by da2222; 19-10-2019 at 18:10.

+ Reply to Thread