+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VTA / SRA

I'm Alisdair.

Default VTA / SRA

I was at a friends the other day to try and diagnose why his TT system was sounding very bright and splashy. Neither of us are very experienced at setting up a turntable and all my experience is from the 1980's and just recently refurbing an old 80's turntable. The arm seemed to be high at the back - sloping down towards the cartridge which we though might be part of the problem. After adjusting the arm to level it seemed a bit better but still bright so it was lowered again to where the arm was sloping the opposite way. We didn't want to take it any further as we were worried it was taking things too far. The attached photo is of the stylus with the final setting of the SRA. My first question is does angle seem ok?

All the cartridges i have experience with have a cantilever that levels out at the end where the stylus is attached meaning that having the arm parallel to the record surface gets the stylus pretty much perpendicular to the record. This cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Bronze) seems to have the stylus perpendicular to the cantilever, is this common?SRA.jpg
    Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. - Leonard Bernstein

I'm Grant.

arm should be level when playing, give or take a fraction... all records are slightly different thicknesses. if system doesnt sound bright bar tt, then recheck the settings geometry and tracking weights too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Check as Grant says, plus be aware Ortofon cartridges can be very sensitive to VTA setting, that's what I found, I have an Ortofon Rondo Blue I use sometimes.

I found that if it is slightly too high then it will sound bright, I start with a medium weight record about 140gm and then adjust the VTA carefully and listen after each adjustment to the same track until happy. Try and pick a track with female vocal and that you know well, Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold is good one, if sibilance is too much then its too high at the rear, although there is a little sibilance even at optimum setting.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alisdair.

Yes, That's the way I've always set it in the past, but this time the stylus appeared to be at an overly acute angle to the vinyl. It may be the cut of the diamond i suppose so might be how it is meant to be. Thanks for the advice.
    Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. - Leonard Bernstein

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
    The attached photo is of the stylus with the final setting of the SRA. My first question is does angle seem ok?

All the cartridges i have experience with have a cantilever that levels out at the end where the stylus is attached meaning that having the arm parallel to the record surface gets the stylus pretty much perpendicular to the record. This cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Bronze) seems to have the stylus perpendicular to the cantilever, is this common?SRA.jpg
    The stylus in the photo is perpendicular to the record, not the cantilever, so the angle does seem OK.

I'm jamie.

it rather depends what diamond profile is on the cartridge,i would as a starting point get the bottom of the cartridge level with the record,parallel in other words.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    it rather depends what diamond profile is on the cartridge,i would as a starting point get the bottom of the cartridge level with the record,parallel in other words.
    +1 What he said, then try to dial in / find the sweetness by carefully raising and lowering the arm rake. If you've the ears, there's a point where it will just sound right - to your ears.....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread