+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phonomac AT 1010 Mk VI mini review

I'm Drew.

Default Phonomac AT 1010 Mk VI mini review

Hi Guys

I've now had the Phonomac AT1010 MkVI tonearm for a few days and although I'm still at a few hours listening -and probably a few more away in terns of fine tuning/ tweaking- I'd like to offer some impressions. The arm replaces a PMAT 1005MKII which was itself a very admirable performer. (System consists of: Garrard 401 with Tenuto mat, LongDog power supply, AT33 PTG MKII, LongDog 300B SET, Valab LCR MKIII, Edingdale speakers).

Initial observations are as follows:

- Sound has gained a much greater sense of attack/ urgency/ dynamism. So much more energy and thrill to musical presentation, in a sense my system seems to have awoken from an extended hibernation.

- The bottom end has so much more depth and presence while still integrating seamlessly with the mids. Treble is very good too and I expect some tinkering with VTA and VTF will further improve matters.

- Presence and soundstage is stunning, Music spills from here, there, everywhere...I'm constantly hearing more aspects/ details to the musical arrangement on tracks I thought I knew inside out.

- I mentioned to Angus that while my wife usually just ‘tolerates' my music after a long day at work, just the other night she was singing out loud to Tracy Chapman. This, I think is the key: music is so much more engaging and draws the listener even closer to it.

Angus, in addition to his tireless advice and help has produced something very special here, I had no idea a tonearm could be such a critical component. More to follow in the next few days…

Last edited by da2222; 19-10-2019 at 18:10.

I'm jamie.

its a corker alright!
    one of my best buys.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    its a corker alright!
    one of my best buys.
    Same here
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Bigman80 Guest

Haha!

Ooooooohhhhhh yes.

Had my PMAT1010 from the MKIV, and it continues to impress me every time I listen to vinyl.

He is a master of the arm, and of the cartridge and you were wise to listen.

Enjoyed the writeup. Thanks for sharing!

I'm John.

It is very pleeasing to hear your initial thoughts on your new choice of PMAT-1010,
    I look forward to your updates on how you become a extremely satisfied owner.

The PMAT -1010 is captivating in abundance, as well as involving.
    Both of these traits evoke pleasurable emotion, and a great sense of satsfaction.
    But the PMAT 1010 is much more than this, it is the Culmination of Angus's Career in Engineering, that was redirected into Micro Engineering in the later part of his career,
    combined with a enduring love/fascination for vinyl replays that extends back to his youth .
    All the knowledge pondered and researched over many years, on how to allow a Stylus to function at its most free travel across a Vinyl Disc are incorporated into a PMAT-1010 .
    Tonearm Geometry is completely understood and the limitations found in other designs are overcome with this design in its basic form, the PMAT 1010 design excels the inherent strengths to another level, that few Tonearms can approach.
    The understanding of the considerations required to be put into place for working against drag and friction being inhibitors to a free movement in the PMAT-1010, the resulting end design is possibly one of the lowest coefficients of friction to be created in a Pivot Axis Tonearm.
    With the PMAT-1010 there is a mindfulness in it as a design that is beyond a usual offering, the fundamental design surpasses many competitors designs, combined with the flexibility of usage and ease of a correct set up as offered by the base model, it becomes a very attractive Tonearm.
    For the very reasonable Outlay to acquire a PMAT 1010, backed up by the continuous support avaible from the designer/producer, in my view there is not another Tonearm to come near it.
    It is now a Bespoke Item, produced by a individual who has put their Mind, Honed Skills and Heart into the creativity that is captured witin the PMAT 1010.
    I've owned other noted Tonearms and still own a few, after hearing the PMAT 1010 and at a later date learning of it as a option to aquire one, this as my choice of Tonearm has relegated the others to being on the Subs Bench.
    Last edited by JohnG; 19-10-2019 at 21:07.

I'm Steve.

Great review Drew.
    Leaves one wondering where to get one from?!
    Answers on a postcard.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Great review Drew.
    Leaves one wondering where to get one from?!
    Answers on a postcard.
    You need to speak to Phonomac of this forum.

Angus is a legend. No question.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You need to speak to Phonomac of this forum.

Angus is a legend. No question.
    Will do, cheers Oliver.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Will do, cheers Oliver.
    No problem. Can't recommend him, or the arm highly enough

I'm Charlie.

Roughly how much is a Mk6 nowadays and how long does one have to wait?
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast