+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariston RD80

I'm Russell.

Default Ariston RD80

Always had a hankering for an RD80 and thinking of putting my Pro-Ject Carbon Tonearm onto it if I can sort an arm board.

Anyone know where I can get a suitable one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Weeman1973; 03-11-2019 at 10:21.

I'm Clive.

Have a look at the Magna Audio sticky thread.

Beyond that it will be a case of looking out for one on ebay. There are a couple for sale at the moment but expensive and probably not the correct mount for the Project Arm.

DIY would be possible using plywood and the right saws and drills but would need some experimentation particularly if the arm uses the Linn mounting arrangement.

I'm steve.

Default Ariston RD80

I had an RD80 around 1985 and I changed from the standard fit Linn Basik arm to a Helios Standard arm, there wasn’t an off the shelf arm board (in the case of the RD80 more of a disc) available so the dealer got someone to fabricate one from plywood and then covered it in self adhesive vinyl to make it look better, did the job and didn’t look bad either.
    Mind you if yours had a Linn arm to begin with you could just substitute any Linn fitting arm without needing to change the base board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm malcolm.

Ebay if you are willing to wait for one at the right price and condition. I use one with a Linn arm, armboards aren't too difficult to make if you have a bit of woodworking skill. I've just upgraded the motor on mine to an Origin Live Advanced with fully balanced round transformer.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Lawrence.

Just out of interest, why not go for an RD11 if you fancy an Ariston?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm malcolm.

An RD80 sold on eBay yesterday for £119, a fair price.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just out of interest, why not go for an RD11 if you fancy an Ariston?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Would love one, just don't see as many around as you do RD80's.

One is on eBay currently for £500 which is overpriced considering it doesn't have an arm.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    An RD80 sold on eBay yesterday for £119, a fair price.
    Yes, I seen that and was tempted, however there is an RD80SL for £140 so feel that's a better option.

I'm Russell.

Thanks all for the replies.

OK so I've pulled the trigger on an RD80SL so now need to move over my Pro-Ject 9cc Tonearm from my Pro-Ject deck that I intend to use - anyone got any tips for doing it correctly?

One point of issue I see is that the internal wires on the arm go through the deck of the Pro-Ject then into an external junction box using RCA sockets etc that you then plug standrad RCA interconnects into then onto the pre-amp etc.

Ideally I'd like to go straight from the tonearm into the pre-amp using RCA plugs on the tonearm wires, akin to Linn, Rega arms etc.

Am I better to do a full internal rewire to achieve this (if so, again any tips?) or will this be too difficult / overkill or should I just de-solder the current wires from the external box on the project and reconnect once on the Ariston deck (presuming of course there is room on the underside of the Ariston to accommodate the box)?

+ Reply to Thread