+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Straight or S-Shape?

I'm Clive.

Default Straight or S-Shape?

Having just installed a Jelco TK-850S tonearm, my son asked me, what is the difference between a straight and a S shaped tonearm. I’m embarrassed to say that other than aesthetics I didn’t know. Have any of you guys got an answer?
    SOURCE:Auralic Aries G1, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/Achromat/MN Bearing/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/AT-OC9XSH or Hana SL, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    DAC: Chord Qutest, Chord Mojo/Poly
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BP17-3 Pre & Bryston 4B3 Power
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7.
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W C5 v2
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker - Chord Signature. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x2, Atlas Mavros Ultra, Chord Indigo Plus XLR, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital: Atlas Mavros Ultra x2, Atlas USB, Chord Optichord.
    Mains: Chord Power Chord x2, Black Rhodium Libra/MK/Shurter or Wattgate x4, IsoTek Orion 6 way, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Lawrence.

Is it not the angle the arm takes relative to the groove, or alternatively like having the pivot point of the arm at a different location?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

not much as long as we discount those dj short arms. they will both have same issues even if both made well...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

An L or S shaped armwand allows a straight SME fit headshell to be used Much easier to play with. Other than that aesthetics, balance in some arms, and mass/rigidity will vary. Fidelity Research amongst others made the same models with straight and S shaped armwand, the latter being the higher mass variants for people preferring low compliance cartridges.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Hugo.

An S-shaped arm does allow the designer to match headshell offset angle with the vertical bearing angle, while still having something that is usable and fits on any turntable. Matching these angles is, in my opinion, a Good Thing although not the ultimate criterion determining whether an arm actually sounds good.

I'm Clive.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Hugo, makes perfect sense.
    SOURCE:Auralic Aries G1, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/Achromat/MN Bearing/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/AT-OC9XSH or Hana SL, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    DAC: Chord Qutest, Chord Mojo/Poly
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BP17-3 Pre & Bryston 4B3 Power
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7.
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W C5 v2
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker - Chord Signature. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x2, Atlas Mavros Ultra, Chord Indigo Plus XLR, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital: Atlas Mavros Ultra x2, Atlas USB, Chord Optichord.
    Mains: Chord Power Chord x2, Black Rhodium Libra/MK/Shurter or Wattgate x4, IsoTek Orion 6 way, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    An S-shaped arm does allow the designer to match headshell offset angle with the vertical bearing angle, while still having something that is usable and fits on any turntable. Matching these angles is, in my opinion, a Good Thing although not the ultimate criterion determining whether an arm actually sounds good.
    You can do the same if you crank both the headshell and the vertical bearing with respect to the arm tube
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You can do the same if you crank both the headshell and the vertical bearing with respect to the arm tube
    Of course you can, and it’s amazing how few arm designers do this, but to my eyes an S shaped arm is still a more visually appealing and elegant thing, particularly if we are talking about removable headshells with standard collet-stylus distance.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Of course you can, and it’s amazing how few arm designers do this, but to my eyes an S shaped arm is still a more visually appealing and elegant thing, particularly if we are talking about removable headshells with standard collet-stylus distance.
    The arms that come to mind are those made by Garrard (the TP-12 and -14, as well as those fitted to the SP25 and later TTs).

In principle one could use a J-shaped arm if the vertical bearing was arranged to be at right angles to a line running through headshell/collet axis. That way the arm would not 'roll' in a counter-clockwise direction as the cartridge rides a record warp. But I don't know of any arm designed like that.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Not very important, but it crossed my mind that 'S' shaped unipivot arms are pretty thin on the ground. In fact I can only think of the Transcriptors and Morch.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

+ Reply to Thread