+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Straight or S-Shape?

I'm Clive.

Default Straight or S-Shape?

Having just installed a Jelco TK-850S tonearm, my son asked me, what is the difference between a straight and a S shaped tonearm. I’m embarrassed to say that other than aesthetics I didn’t know. Have any of you guys got an answer?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Lawrence.

Is it not the angle the arm takes relative to the groove, or alternatively like having the pivot point of the arm at a different location?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

not much as long as we discount those dj short arms. they will both have same issues even if both made well...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

An L or S shaped armwand allows a straight SME fit headshell to be used Much easier to play with. Other than that aesthetics, balance in some arms, and mass/rigidity will vary. Fidelity Research amongst others made the same models with straight and S shaped armwand, the latter being the higher mass variants for people preferring low compliance cartridges.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Hugo.

An S-shaped arm does allow the designer to match headshell offset angle with the vertical bearing angle, while still having something that is usable and fits on any turntable. Matching these angles is, in my opinion, a Good Thing although not the ultimate criterion determining whether an arm actually sounds good.

I'm Clive.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Hugo, makes perfect sense.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    An S-shaped arm does allow the designer to match headshell offset angle with the vertical bearing angle, while still having something that is usable and fits on any turntable. Matching these angles is, in my opinion, a Good Thing although not the ultimate criterion determining whether an arm actually sounds good.
    You can do the same if you crank both the headshell and the vertical bearing with respect to the arm tube
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You can do the same if you crank both the headshell and the vertical bearing with respect to the arm tube
    Of course you can, and it’s amazing how few arm designers do this, but to my eyes an S shaped arm is still a more visually appealing and elegant thing, particularly if we are talking about removable headshells with standard collet-stylus distance.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Of course you can, and it’s amazing how few arm designers do this, but to my eyes an S shaped arm is still a more visually appealing and elegant thing, particularly if we are talking about removable headshells with standard collet-stylus distance.
    The arms that come to mind are those made by Garrard (the TP-12 and -14, as well as those fitted to the SP25 and later TTs).

In principle one could use a J-shaped arm if the vertical bearing was arranged to be at right angles to a line running through headshell/collet axis. That way the arm would not 'roll' in a counter-clockwise direction as the cartridge rides a record warp. But I don't know of any arm designed like that.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Not very important, but it crossed my mind that 'S' shaped unipivot arms are pretty thin on the ground. In fact I can only think of the Transcriptors and Morch.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread