+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Streamer/Music Transport suggestions

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    This Moon thingy is quite an interesting piece of kit. I assume it's wifi enabled?.. is there such a thing as a NAS drive that could speak to it over wifi preferably with something like Raid 5 available on it so there would be no data loss if a drive goes down (as they all do in the end). I have no room at the broadband router to add a storage device, so any NAS would need to be wifi-cable rather than attached via cable.

Just picking up your interest on the 180 MiND device as well Tom. Not owned one but based on listening to various SimAudio stuff at shows etc my interest is heightened.

Seems that the 180 MiND device can be upgraded (if it has not already been done) to be a Roon end point which is exciting and what I read the sound is second to none.

Regarding your lack of ports on your router - suggest you just purchase an ethernet switch - cheap as chips. For example like this. There are cheaper ones with less ports.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I have no room at the broadband router to add a storage device
    All the ports full?
    Connect one of the ports to one of these.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Rob.

This Moon thingy is quite an interesting piece of kit. I assume it's wifi enabled?.. is there such a thing as a NAS drive that could speak to it over wifi preferably with something like Raid 5 available on it so there would be no data loss if a drive goes down (as they all do in the end). I have no room at the broadband router to add a storage device, so any NAS would need to be wifi-cable rather than attached via cable.
    I first used mine with a LaCie Cloudbox NAS, which is simply an external hard drive with a network socket. It connects to one of the network ports on my router. (I have second one connected via network over main and a gigabit hub at the other end of the house which is used purely for backup). I'd used cloudbox with my previous network player - Marantz NA7004, various Raspberry Pi + DAC iterations for example. The Moon Mind 180 bettered them all.

I now use it with a Melco N1A/2 (as well as the Cloudbox) which the Mind 180 connects to directly (rather than through a hub or router). You could connect it via Wifi, but cable connection is better.

There are a wide range of NAS boxes available but they are usually designed to connect via cable. You could connect them to a Wifi via a wireless network extender, but I'd suggest a much better solution would be to connect it to your router via a small gigabit hub if the router only has one network port.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    All the ports full?
    Connect one of the ports to one of these.

I have at least one mini hub in a box in the garage. It’s not about full ports it’s about not having physical space to put a hard drive in that location (which is in my wife’s study - that’s where the people we bought the house from decided to have the connection wired into)

I'm Rob.

If all the router ports are full and you buy a hub, get one that will take all the current connections plus the new connection and have a couple spare. Then connect everything to the new hub.

That is, if the router has 4 network ports, get an 8 port hub/switch and connect everything to the hub, with just a single connection to the router.

Don't connect half the devices to the router, and half to the hub! Why, because if you do that half the network traffic will need to pass over the single connection between hub and the router. It will be a bottleneck. If you connect everything to the hub, all the traffic between ports will go over the hub backbone which has a lot more bandwidth than any of the external network ports.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

I have at least one mini hub in a box in the garage. It’s not about full ports it’s about not having physical space to put a hard drive in that location (which is in my wife’s study - that’s where the people we bought the house from decided to have the connection wired into)

Tom, is it possible for you to run an ethernet cable from the router to another room and then from there to plug in your spare hub and your hard disc etc. And if that new location is not near your hifi to run an extra ethernet cable to your hifi location?
    Last edited by Edward; 19-10-2019 at 08:23. Reason: clarification
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andy.

Yes - putting together a Raspberry PI based music streamer/player is technical but fairly simple if the many millions of on-line tutorials are followed

Regarding NAS drives and using different raids to protect yourself against drive failure - good idea but do not forget to also have a backup!!

Been in IT for many years (coming up to 40 years next year!!) and relying on just the raid is foolhardy - NAS drives fail as a total entity so all data is lost.
    I use 2 PI's running as NAS drives and use one as the media source and the other as a backup to the first.
    With the size of storage available in the cloud, this is also a good idea to use as a backup location if you don't want multiple machines and storage dotted around your house.

Please do not just rely on the raid in your NAS drive - can end in tears!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post

Please do not just rely on the raid in your NAS drive - can end in tears!
    +1

I've known of too many instances of raid controllers becoming defective and no suitable alternative controllers being available to rescue the locked up data.

montesquieu Guest

I work in IT myself albeit in a management consulting / commercial role. I’m well aware of backup and redundancy requirements indeed telling people to be worried about this is my own standard advice to anyone pondering moving to file-based listening - the risk of losing everything is bigger than you think. My preference is cloud backup for any raid array - but that’s another question.

What I’m asking for here isnt cabling advice it’s suggestions on Wi-fi connected (Non hard wired) NAS. (If it has a cloud backup facility all the better). Also a streamer / networking device to plug into my DAC. If nobody has done this then no worries it was just a question. There should be no need in 2019 to run cables from room to room.

I be been down the Pi route before (indeed I had two at one point) and it has no interest for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast