+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamer/Music Transport suggestions

I'm Richard.

Default Streamer/Music Transport suggestions

Bit of advice required folks.
    I'm in the process of ripping my cd's to an external hard drive. When completed I feel I may benefit from a better music transport than my old Dell Inspiron 15 laptop!....true? If yes, could you kind techie's supply me with a few suggestions.

Realistically I won't be using any services such as tidal any time soon & I don't have any high Res files as yet. It would mainly be used for the rips, so it seems a lot of the streamers out there have facilities that I'm not gonna use. Mind you, it wouldn't be a bad thing to be 'my-future' proofed, but not a priority.

I currently use a Xiang sheng dac but would consider a streamer with built in Dac.
    I'll set a budget at around £500 (2nd hand) but this is not set in stone as if the right kit comes along...etc. In addition, if the unit has a dac I could sell mine.

Fire Away!

I'm Rob.

Assuming the external hard drive is a network drive (NAS), for £500 second hand I think the Simaudio Moon Mind 180 is a great option. It will work with your current DAC, can be controlled from a tablet or phone, and does a great job of playing the music. There are a few on ebay at the moment: here, here, and here.

Some reviews: here and here.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Edward.

Consider a Volumio Primo Richard. Add your external hard disk and you will be good to go.

Or if you are handy with tinkering consider a Pi or a NUC or similar. Save a load of money and continue using your existing DAC.

Or spend a few more pounds and get something like a Cambridge CXN V2.

All of the above will be better than your Dell laptop (mainly as the Dell will be electrically noisy) and will future proof you to an extent.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andy.

Raspberry PI, with DACHat and USB DVD/CD drive.
    Less then £100, depending on the DAC you choose - or more!
    Can RIP, play and enjoy
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

Bigman80 Guest

It agree, but I'd stick a PecanPi on it.

I'm Richard.

Thanks so far guys.
    ReggieB - The hard drive is a Western digital Elements so I don't think this can connect to the Simaudio.
    gninnam - I'm no techie so all the Rasperry Pi stuff & gizmos seems a bit daunting. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Edward - The Volumio looks interesting & ive read a couple of reviews. Someone else also suggested the Cambridge & is under consideration.
    I have to admit that a single, well built box (big or small) will probably grab my attention

I'm Edward.

Why are you ripping your CDs to files Richard?

When I came round to your place (ages ago now) I seem to recall you had a state of art CD player. Can't recall what now. But a top loader of some sort.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

This Moon thingy is quite an interesting piece of kit. I assume it's wifi enabled?.. is there such a thing as a NAS drive that could speak to it over wifi preferably with something like Raid 5 available on it so there would be no data loss if a drive goes down (as they all do in the end). I have no room at the broadband router to add a storage device, so any NAS would need to be wifi-cable rather than attached via cable.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Why are you ripping your CDs to files Richard?

When I came round to your place (ages ago now) I seem to recall you had a state of art CD player. Can't recall what now. But a top loader of some sort.
    Well remembered Edward. It's a Helios Stargate & not going anywhere barring injury. I just want the convenience of file music in the living space. Still want good quality though. Hope you're well.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Well remembered Edward. It's a Helios Stargate & not going anywhere barring injury. I just want the convenience of file music in the living space. Still want good quality though. Hope you're well.
    Oh yeah the Stargate thing you did that time/space shaping thing.

I'm well ta. Pop round sometime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast