+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Topping D10 with a Mac ?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I realise the Topping D30 is only slightly more but the D10 was considered because of the lack of a power lead and PSU brick, all my hifi gear, turntable and phono stage, amp, TV, DVD player, Macmini, wifi router, printer,Hive transmitter, Apple TV all have power leads to be accommodated, I have 14 mains sockets in my living room and they’re all in use already

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately this issue is the same for all of us. A DAC powered from and external source will be more stable and should sound better than one powered from a computer USB which can be subject to power fluctuations. I would consider getting a power block with an additional socket, so if you have one with 4 sockets get one that has 6. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Elec-SC...1491634&sr=8-7 its more cost but might be the best way forward.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Unfortunately this issue is the same for all of us. A DAC powered from and external source will be more stable and should sound better than one powered from a computer USB which can be subject to power fluctuations. I would consider getting a power block with an additional socket, so if you have one with 4 sockets get one that has 6. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Elec-SC...1491634&sr=8-7 its more cost but might be the best way forward.
    You’re probably right but I’m at the end of my tether with regards to mains cables and I just don’t want another one, easy enough to accommodate in my bedroom setup but not in the living room.

I'm Jo.

You’re probably right but I’m at the end of my tether with regards to mains cables and I just don’t want another one, easy enough to accommodate in my bedroom setup but not in the living room.

Hello Steve, I think given the parameters you have set out here the Topping D10 is probably a good choice - it measures very well in spite of being USB powered and the build quality is above average within its price range. Here is a link to a review of the D10 by audioscience:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/fo...-d10-dac.2470/

Another option would be to consider a unit powered by a battery - this would increase your choice without having another plug to cater for.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Hello Steve, I think given the parameters you have set out here the Topping D10 is probably a good choice - it measures very well in spite of being USB powered and the build quality is above average within its price range. Here is a link to a review of the D10 by audioscience:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/fo...-d10-dac.2470/

Another option would be to consider a unit powered by a battery - this would increase you choice without having another plug to cater for.
    Thanks for that, I have read the ASR review by Amir already and know he rates it highly. I’ve just checked out the specs on the Shenzhen Audio website and it would tend to confirm its usability with Macs.

I'm Jo.

I use a variety of DACs with the Macs I use and so far, fingers crossed, they have all been recognized without difficulty, neither have I had any difficulty using any of them. That said, you're right to check compatibility - there's always a first time.

I'm steve.

I’ve decided to take the plunge and order a Topping D10. After a trawl around on ebay I managed to find one for the ridiculously low price of$19.99 USD delivered, so just under £17, free delivery from the US will probably take weeks, but at that price I don’t really care

I'm Adrian.

I’ve decided to take the plunge and order a Topping D10. After a trawl around on ebay I managed to find one for the ridiculously low price of$19.99 USD delivered, so just under £17, free delivery from the US will probably take weeks, but at that price I don’t really care

Don't forget you may get caught for import duty 20% and handling fee of around £10.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Edward.

Wow that is a low price for a D10. Looking around t'internet prices are all over the place.

Regarding no external power input to the D10. You could splice an external power supply into the USB cable. Typically a USB cable will have 4 wires, two of which for power (black negative and red positive). The other wires (white and green) are for data which leave connected as is. So with an external PSU (5v) just splice the negative and positive accordingly into the USB cable leaving the data wires coming from your USB source. This effectively shields you from the noisy power from your computer and, depending on the external PSU, will give a cleaner/stable power supply.

Alternatively get something like an Aqvox power injector.

But you may find the power coming from your computer will be fine.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm steve.

Default Topping D10 with a Mac ?

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Don't forget you may get caught for import duty 20% and handling fee of around £10.
    I’ve got stuff from the US several times before and I’ve never had to pay any import charges yet.

Last edited by steve-z; 21-10-2019 at 13:35.

I'm Edward.

I had a look at the listing for the D10 you got Steve. Although on ebay usa the items are coming from China.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast