+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topping D10 with a Mac ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm steve.

Default Topping D10 with a Mac ?

I’ve been considering getting an inexpensive external DAC for a while now and have looked at the Topping D10 which seems very well liked.
    Upon investigating reviews online I’ve come across some users on other forums having difficulty or failing to get the D10 to work with a Mac, is anyone on AOS successfully using a D10 with a Mac ?
    I’m running a 2015 series Macmini running the latest OS Catalina. I don’t really relish the prospect of buying the DAC and then it failing to work with the Macmini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’ve been considering getting an inexpensive external DAC for a while now and have looked at the Topping D10 which seems very well liked.
    Upon investigating reviews online I’ve come across some users on other forums having difficulty or failing to get the D10 to work with a Mac, is anyone on AOS successfully using a D10 with a Mac ?
    I’m running a 2015 series Macmini running the latest OS Catalina. I don’t really relish the prospect of buying the DAC and then it failing to work with the Macmini.

You do not say what generation of Mac Mini you have, presumably a more recent one if you have put Catalina on it? The D10 supports USB In, 44.1–384 kHz / 16–32 bit, DSD64–DSD256 (DoP, native)
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm steve.

It’s a late 2014 generation Macmini although it was bought new by the original owner in mid 2015, it’s the most basic spec from that era, 4GB of soldered in non upgradable RAM,1.4GHZ Dual Core Intel i5 processor. Only thing I have upgraded recently is that I changed the HDD for an SSD which did wonders for the speed.
    Edit: it is USB 3.

Last edited by steve-z; 18-10-2019 at 18:04.

I'm Adrian.

It’s a late 2014 generation Macmini although it was bought new by the original owner in mid 2015, it’s the most basic spec from that era, 4GB of soldered in non upgradable RAM,1.4GHZ Dual Core Intel i5 processor. Only thing I have upgraded recently is that I changed the HDD for an SSD which did wonders for the speed.
    Edit: it is USB 3.

OK here we go, the answer I believe is yes probably, by the way I work for the fruity shop in a technical role. So I checked various online sources, mainly about the Topping D10, but also your late 2014 Mac Mini. To see the images and the video below you may need to be in Safari on AoS and/or on your Mac.

USB D10 Spec

DIGITAL INPUT AND OUTPUT
    USB Input PCM 44.1kHz - 384kHz 16-32bits
    USB DSD frequnecy DSD64 à DSD256 ( DOP - natif )
    SPDIF Coaxial output 24bits max 44.1kHz - 192kHz
    SPDIF Optical output 24bits max 44.1kHz - 192kHz
    USB compatibility Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (nécessite un driver) Mac OS 10 et Linux

My DAC
    USB CAIMAN SEG USB input spec (taken from manual)

The USB input accepts a ‘B-type’ male USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 connector. Use a USB B-to-A cable to connect the Caiman directly to a computer’s USB output. The USB interface is compatible with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports.
    The USB input supports 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz sample rates. Maximum word length is 16-bits. The USB interface does not require the installation of any custom drivers or changes to system settings for high quality audio playback.

Windows 7, Vista, 2000 & XP, MAC OS X and Linux

When connecting to a USB port on a computer running the above operating systems, the computer should automatically recognize the presence of the Caiman USB device. Any audio played from the computer will then be routed to the Caiman USB output.

OK so what is the point of the above, well my concern was as follows:

1. Catalina is a pure 64bit operating system, so question is has this changed or impacted the digital output to the USB-3 Port, which both yours and mine have? (It certainly should not as there is a very specific USB-3 worldwide specification and what it is, what it supports and how)

2. Will it work with my DAC which supports only 16 bits, and will it work with Audvirna which will output in native DSD?

3 Will it work in Mac OS 10.15(Catalina) using native Apps i.e. iTunes and Safari?

So just for you Steve I went and hunted out my USB lead, by the way this is a crappy old thing from an 10 year old printer, so I wasn't even sure it would work OK.

So the proof as I say is in the what you see and hear.
    My Mac spec, earlier than yours but I7
    [IMG][/IMG]

Audirvana sees my DAC when I plug in USB lead
    [IMG][/IMG]

Audirvana playing music through USB and DAC out to hifi

[IMG][/IMG]

Mac OS sees the DAC

[IMG][/IMG]

iTunes playing music with DAC select in OS

[IMG][/IMG]

In Safari playing Apple iPhone video

So I cannot see why it would not work with your Mac Mini and the Topping D10, so I would say well worth trying.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm steve.

Thanks for all the info Adrian, I have to admit not being very computer savvy a lot of what you said went over my head somewhat but I get the gist.
    Took me a bit of time to check it out as the Tapatalk app I use on the iPad doesn’t show your photos so I had to bring AOS up via Safari.
    From what you’re saying with regard to using the Topping D10 with OS Catalina should be fine, my only slight misgiving is with regard to the powering of the DAC which utilises the USB lead, I’ve read on another forum some users finding the Macmini gives inadequate power so that when the Mac comes out of sleep mode it doesn’t fire up the DAC.
    I think what I’ll probably need to do is to buy one from Amazon, try it and if there are any issues return it for a refund.

I'm Gary.

Thanks for all the info Adrian, I have to admit not being very computer savvy a lot of what you said went over my head somewhat but I get the gist.
    Took me a bit of time to check it out as the Tapatalk app I use on the iPad doesn’t show your photos so I had to bring AOS up via Safari.
    From what you’re saying with regard to using the Topping D10 with OS Catalina should be fine, my only slight misgiving is with regard to the powering of the DAC which utilises the USB lead, I’ve read on another forum some users finding the Macmini gives inadequate power so that when the Mac comes out of sleep mode it doesn’t fire up the DAC.
    I think what I’ll probably need to do is to buy one from Amazon, try it and if there are any issues return it for a refund.

You have pm that may solve your issues.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Adrian.

If you think that is an issue the I would buy either a Topping D30 DAC or http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/cartview.html?id=26

I'm steve.

[QUOTE=AJSki2fly;1131588]If you think that is an issue the I would buy either a [QUOTE]

The Caiman looks very nice as does the D50 but they’re both a bit out of my price bracket, being a pensioner I’m not exactly flush with the cash and have to spend carefully, hence my targeting the D10.

I'm Adrian.

[QUOTE=steve-z;1131593][QUOTE=AJSki2fly;1131588]If you think that is an issue the I would buy either a

The Caiman looks very nice as does the D50 but they’re both a bit out of my price bracket, being a pensioner I’m not exactly flush with the cash and have to spend carefully, hence my targeting the D10.

The D30 that I was suggesting is £24 more than the D10, and comes with

Box Contains
    1 x Topping VX1 Amplifier / USB DAC 1 x Power Supply ( 110V - 240V ) 1 x 3.5 to 6.35 converter 1 x 1.5M USB cable 1 × User Manual

I'm steve.

I realise the Topping D30 is only slightly more but the D10 was considered because of the lack of a power lead and PSU brick, all my hifi gear, turntable and phono stage, amp, TV, DVD player, Macmini, wifi router, printer,Hive transmitter, Apple TV all have power leads to be accommodated, I have 14 mains sockets in my living room and they’re all in use already

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast