So here’s a puzzle I’ve been unable to solve - maybe someone can shed some light?

A few days ago while using my Paradox Pulse Denon DL103-R I noted the bass was overly boomy and distorting on certain tracks - all other frequencies were fine. On checking the VTF it was 3.5g instead of the 2.5g I had set a couple of weeks prior. Putting it down to personal stupidity I reset to 2.5 and the bass was back to normal. Anyway, same thing happened again the following day- VTF measured 3.5g. Weird! To cut a long story short I reset and rechecked after an hour and it was again 3.5. I’ve repeated this on numerous occasions and the VTF drifts up by about 1g every time.

If I swap in either my AT 33PTG/II or Goldbug Brier the VTF stays stable - no drift.

I have recalibrated my digital balance and also used the Shure SFG 2 (very similar readings) in case the balance had gone off.

The TT shelf/TT/platter are all perfectly level.

The virtually new Jelco TK850s is correctly setup and arm/headshell set perpendicular using a spirit bubble and horizontal site rule.

The Paradox Pulse is in a new Jelco HS-30 with all fixings tight.

So I think I’ve eliminated all external factors and come to the conclusion it must be an issue with the cartridge suspension despite it being 2 years old and with only about 100 hours. It’s never been mishandled. I’ve discussed this with Terence at Paradox Pulse and he is adamant it can’t be the cartridge and even if it were broken it wouldn’t give these symptoms. He suggested gently depressing the cantilever with a finger - it did return to its default position on release and there was some resistance but I have no idea how it should feel. I can’t believe such a test can exclude a duff suspension.

I suggested sending it back to Terence for checking but he is sceptical and it’s also a long way to send it if it’s not the problem.

Anyway, long story but I’m out of ideas now. Grateful for any suggestions.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk