+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New turntable.

I'm Tony.

Default New turntable.

Hi guys, I finally sold my Dual 1219 last week after nearly three years of trying to sell it, a guy from Edinburgh just turned up out of the blue and bought it after seeing it advertised, it's a funny old world though, I had nearly 20,000 views on here and on PFM during the course of those years that the Dual was for sale with no interest whatsoever except for the odd tyre kicker or someone who wanted to tell me how poor the Dual TT was in their view.

Anyway after selling the Dual I was on the look out for something decent, just a cheap plug and play TT as I rarely play records these days but I do have a decent record collection which I started when I was about 14 which is 45 odd years ago now and some of those records have huge emotional attachment for both me and my wife so there's no way I'd ever get rid of them so with that in mind I decided on a buying new Rega RP1 (I had a Rega P3 a few years ago) but when I started doing some research it seemed clear to me that Rega have had some pretty bad quality assurance issues with their new cheap TTs.

I wasn't impressed with some of the poor reviews for the Rega P1 but I stumbled across an Edwards Audio Apprentice lite TT which is for sale on various ebay shops, which I presume are all Talk Electronics shops, all with varying different prices for the same TT but I eventually bought one on an BIN/Offers basis for £220 posted and it turned up today.

I'm actually quite impressed with it, sounds decent and quite minimal looking which is what we were after with the Dual 1219 but the EA TT is even more minimalist looking IMO.

I had it up and working within minutes, you simply push the tracking weight onto the tonearm, plug the phono cables it into the amp and into an electrical socket and that's it, ready to play records.

I'm using a Yamaha RN-803D amp with an onboard phono stage, speakers are a pair of Dali Oberon 1s in satin white which matches the TT which is also satin white.

I mainly listen to spotify or internet radio/fm radio, the Yamaha amp does everything and is also MusicCast amp so I can just stream from my phone to it or from the Innous Zen, sound quality is fine with all sources, I'm pretty happy now and more importantly so too is my wife.

Thanks
    Tony
    s-l640.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg
    Last edited by twotone; 14-10-2019 at 16:55.

I'm Mike.

Result !

If it works for you Tony, then it works, simple as.

Nice to have something that isn't a black rectangle, tbh.

Happy listening
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Result !

If it works for you Tony, then it works, simple as.

Nice to have something that isn't a black rectangle, tbh.

Happy listening
    Thanks Mike, it's actually an excellent sounding TT, bass is very good and deep despite my speakers, very analogue sounding too without being muddy if you know what I mean?

There is a bit of motor noise though and it's more pronounced if you turn up the volume quite loud although you can't hear it cause of the volume but you can feel the deck wobbling a bit or maybe it's the arm doing that, it's not unpleasant but it is a bit weird if I'm being honest however at 'normal' volume levels all of that is pretty much reduced.

Tony

I'm David.

Very attractive tt, pleased you're enjoying it.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Very attractive tt, pleased you're enjoying it.
    Thanks David, interestingly EA recommend that you don't use a mat with the TT so there's none included.

I'm Steve.

Hi Tony,

Looking at that pic of your setup, I'm thinking your deck may benefit from the speakers being isolated from the shelf a bit, perhaps using some of those Nobsound sprung feet mentioned elsewhere on the forum, or even placed on stands. Can't help thinking high volumes will affect your t/t a bit.

Nice looking deck, btw. Cool and funky
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Talk about coincidences!

I was poking around tinternet (Trio amps, Dynaco speakers etc), and AR turntables, and guess what came up?

So what happened with the AR deck? The posts you had on here were from about six years ago, and I was just wondering how you went on with it
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Talk about coincidences!

I was poking around tinternet (Trio amps, Dynaco speakers etc), and AR turntables, and guess what came up?

So what happened with the AR deck? The posts you had on here were from about six years ago, and I was just wondering how you went on with it
    Hi Steve, the AR deck was very good but vibrations such as people walking across the floor were problematic with it, I think I bought a TT shelf and tried that but I eventually moved the AR on, can't recall whom or where I sold it to now though.

Thanks for the tip re the speakers, that sounds as though what was happening with the deck although the speakers do have rubber feet.

PS, I'm thinking about moving up to the AE Zephyr C200 cart which is a Nag 110 I think, you can buy one for about £109 on Amazon & Ebay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Talk-Zephyr.../dp/B00LKHZC96

+ Reply to Thread