+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unstable Tracking Force Conundrum- a ghost in the machine ?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Agreed but I had assumed you couldn't tell (no markings??) based on considering other options. Having said that how does a heavier weight fix the issue that the current one is moving as I don't see the correlation?
    Because it will be a lot nearer the pivot and fully inserted in the arm tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Adrian

While the counterweight is at the very rear of the arm it is clear of the dust cover in its tracking arc. Also, I don't close the lid as the Brueil record weight is too tall.

I do think though that the issue is likely related the counterweight being so far away from the arm pivot. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a heavier counterweight for this arm.

Even though we have not yet reached a definitive reason for the problem I am sensing that the received expert opinion is that it is unlikely to be due to the cartridge suspension which supports Terence's view.

Steve
    With my Timestep headshell and Benz Micro LP-S my tracking weight is very near the end of its adjustment, which is to be expected based on the specifications I think it is within 2gm of the limit.

A simple think to try out would be to get a small amount of blu-tack say 3-4gm and out it onto the counter-weight, them balance out the arm, zero the gauge and the then set it for your tracking weight and then see it it remains stable.

Before you do the above see if you can easily slide the counter-weight back, you should not be able to do so if it engaged on the thread, so if it isn't then you have exceeded what it can do with the existing counter-weight.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    A simple think to try out would be to get a small amount of blu-tack say 3-4gm and out it onto the counter-weight, them balance out the arm, zero the gauge and the then set it for your tracking weight and then see it it remains stable.
    Good suggestion that.
    Always a little further

I'm Martin.

Because it will be a lot nearer the pivot and fully inserted in the arm tube.

Ah ok, I'd not realised it was set up like that, fair enough makes sense.

I'm Grant.

if its partially off the stem that will cause issues with it moving.. meantime try a little plumbers tape. might just give it enough grip
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    meantime try a little plumbers tape. might just give it enough grip
    Another good suggestion
    Always a little further

I'm Mike.

Interesting conundrum, and I agree that the cart. cannot be responsible except inasmuch as it may generate a lot more energy that your others.

I had the same thing happen on my 12" PU7, when the VTF would inexplicable change (can't remember if it was lighter or heavier though). The P U7's counterweight is secured by grub-screws, and although feeling tight, they weren't, causing drift over a few records.

Don't know your Jelco, but think it may be a grooved/twist affair with no locking, but the principle remains and I think Adrian, Martin et al are on the right track in suggesting masking tape or whatever to secure it. Sounds improbable for such a counterweight to be able to creep, but this and the cart. weight/higher VTF/energy effect on the counterweight is at least a feasible possibility.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Interesting conundrum, and I agree that the cart. cannot be responsible except inasmuch as it may generate a lot more energy that your others.

I had the same thing happen on my 12" PU7, when the VTF would inexplicable change (can't remember if it was lighter or heavier though). The P U7's counterweight is secured by grub-screws, and although feeling tight, they weren't, causing drift over a few records.

Don't know your Jelco, but think it may be a grooved/twist affair with no locking, but the principle remains and I think Adrian, Martin et al are on the right track in suggesting masking tape or whatever to secure it. Sounds improbable for such a counterweight to be able to creep, but this and the cart. weight/higher VTF/energy effect on the counterweight is at least a feasible possibility.
    Thanks - Yes I agree it must be the counterweight slipping. Hugo Cass informed me earlier there is no heavy counterweight available and I’ve not seen anything from the likes of Isokinetic. I’ll try the “tape” method at some stage and if successful maybe try and commission a custom weight.

Thanks to all the ghost busters

Steve

Always a little further

I'm Adrian.

Thanks - Yes I agree it must be the counterweight slipping. Hugo Cass informed me earlier there is no heavy counterweight available and I’ve not seen anything from the likes of Isokinetic. I’ll try the “tape” method at some stage and if successful maybe try and commission a custom weight.

Thanks to all the ghost busters

Steve

See if it is magnetic and if so just add a small magnet or two to the rear, could save a lot of cost.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Might be obvious but I assume the sleeve is fully on the arm and that the weight is towards the rear of the sleeve. Ie you don't have the weight forward and the sleeve hanging off the back....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast