+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker recommendations to replace MA Gold Reference 20’s

I'm Peter.

Default Speaker recommendations to replace MA Gold Reference 20’s

I’ve got a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Reference 20’s which I’ve had for over 10 years. I have a Michelle Orbe TT, Icon Audio Phono Stage, Musical Fidelity 3.2 Integrated Amp, other sources include Cyrus CD player and Bluesound Node 2i streamer.

I’m looking to replace the speakers and was looking for recommendations to audition. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm Lawrence.

Do you like their sound? I believe they err a little on the brighter side of neutral so you won't want a classic British warm sound.

Actually, if you do why replace them? The forums are full of people who wanted to try something better and never quite managed to get where they wanted (myself included!) so tread with caution!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Peter, why do you want to change them, what is it that you do not like or want to improve on? As far as I am aware these are a very well balance and good pair of speakers that have very good reviews from many punters as well as audio critics. They are a reasonably sensitive speaker and your amp is a very good integrated that should drive them pretty well. The only thing I know is some consider them to be a little on the polite side and not exuberant.

To improve on them though you might be looking at quite a spend or going 2nd hand, there are some very good older speakers out there but once again tend to keep their value.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Lawrence.

I thought these were a bit more forward and the later GS20 were more polite? I could be wrong, but the GR60s I heard were not polite.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I thought these were a bit more forward and the later GS20 were more polite? I could be wrong, but the GR60s I heard were not polite.

IF GR20's reportedly lightning quick top-end, advisable to remove wire grills from tweeters to get better accuracy in imagining. Mid-range is where they shine, superb with voice, recommended with valve amps, probably as they are metal drivers and tones it down. Bass is good but not their best point, 30hz hump but acceptable, need good amp to keep them in control or can get loose in the bottom end, should be fine though with Peter's Musical Fidelity 3.2.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Lawrence.

I reckon the MF and MA combination would be nice. Alternatively could look at upgrading the amp to a bigger MF one with some valves in.

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I’m not unhappy with them as I’ve had them for a good while. On some recordings the top end is a bit harsh but that’s probably more to do with the recordings. They seem well balanced, the mids on voices are superb and the bass is good, however, given their age I wondered if there was anything better that I could replace them with, given I’d either sell them privately or part ex to get some money toward a new purchase.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by supapeet View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I’m not unhappy with them as I’ve had them for a good while. On some recordings the top end is a bit harsh but that’s probably more to do with the recordings. They seem well balanced, the mids on voices are superb and the bass is good, however, given their age I wondered if there was anything better that I could replace them with, given I’d either sell them privately or part ex to get some money toward a new purchase.
    Really depends on what you are willing to spend and whether new or 2nd hand

If new I would look at

Fyne Audio F501 at around £1200 won many awards, I believe the Fyne team who set up the company originally came from Tannoy, also look at their other offerings.

ProAc Response DT8's a lively entertaining sound apparently so may float your boat for £2K, well recommended.

I also like Dali speakers, they do some very nice floor standers, have a listen to the DALI OPTICON 8 SPEAKERS about £2k but you need to check how they will be where placed in your room as rear ported, and they need a reasonably large room.

2nd Hand

You would not go far wrong with a good pair of JBL L100 Century's, old school styling but a lovely sound, reasonably easy on placement as large monitor and front ported. I have a pair I was given and love them. you should be able to pick up a very nice 2nd hand pair for around £1-1.5K. New ones are £4k )been redesigned.

Another tried and tested that many on here rave about are Tannoy Ardens, Cheviot or Berkeley. I actually have a pair of Legacy Arden's (were released about 3 years ago) that I picked up from a dealer and had been px'd and hardly used, not cheap but a wonderful sound. There are various other very good Tannoys which others on hear know more about than me.

Another very good speaker in its day is the KEF Reference 3.2's, I used to have a pair and they sound lovely, although you need to find a later made pair that had the better diaphragm around internal bass drivers, they can fail, I believe they are repairable but apparently a pig to get the internal bass drivers out the cabinet and back in but not impossible.

If you a feeling flush a new pair of Reference 3's are around £7.5K

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the recommendations Adrian. I’ll give them consideration and have a look at the second hand options.

Cheers

Peter

I'm Steve.

I had the Studio 20's and they were excellent. I sold them and replaced them with KEF References but I'm not sure they are an improvement just different.

I tried MF A3 pre power with them as I thought my Audio Analogue pre/power wasn't very good. There wasn't much improvement and this only came when I bought a Croft Pre and a VTL ST85 power.

You might want to try that instead of changing the speakers. I certainly wouldn't call them dull or boring. Explicit and brightly lit more like it but I enjoyed that.

Don't buy Reference 3.2's which is what I have unless you are prepared to spend a shed load on big amps. Your Musical Fidelity will be inadequate. They like power and current.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast